lucene search options

12

lucene search options

Aditi Goyal
Hi All,

I am using Lucene for creating indexes. There is one field as "email" which
stored the email id.
I have few queries regarding searching:
1. I want to search for all the records having domain as "gmail.com" . So,
is there a way by which I can do a partial search on "email" field such that
I get the records matching only the domain name.
I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(

2. If I just want to search for the records which are not matching email as
"[hidden email]"
How can I search for it. Here, MUST_NOT cannot be used alone. Is there a way
out?

Please help.

Thanks,
Aditi

RE: lucene search options

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah
One way of doing it is while parsing email if it has .gmail.com add it to different field also.
Warm Regards,
Allahbaksh
Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
*Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

I am using Lucene for creating indexes. There is one field as "email" which
stored the email id.
I have few queries regarding searching:
1. I want to search for all the records having domain as "gmail.com" . So,
is there a way by which I can do a partial search on "email" field such that
I get the records matching only the domain name.
I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(

2. If I just want to search for the records which are not matching email as
"[hidden email]"
How can I search for it. Here, MUST_NOT cannot be used alone. Is there a way
out?

Please help.

Thanks,
Aditi

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: lucene search options

Aditi Goyal
Thanks Allahbaksh, But this was just an example. I want to search for lot
more fields like this.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> One way of doing it is while parsing email if it has .gmail.com add it to
> different field also.
> Warm Regards,
> Allahbaksh
> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Re: lucene search options

Daniel Noll-3-2
On Monday 23 June 2008 16:21:17 Aditi Goyal wrote:
> I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(

Wrong:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)

Daniel

RE: lucene search options

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah
Usually if you negate the keyword then that document will be skipped. So what else you want to search. Design of fields is very important.
Warm Regards,
Allahbaksh

http://setlabs/slim/

[hidden email]> wrote:

> One way of doing it is while parsing email if it has .gmail.com add it to
> different field also.
> Warm Regards,
> Allahbaksh
> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Hi Daniel,
You are right earlier the wild card character were not supported but now they are supported.
Regards,
Allahbaksh

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
*Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
http://setlabs/slim/
http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

On Monday 23 June 2008 16:21:17 Aditi Goyal wrote:
> I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(

Wrong:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)

Daniel

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: lucene search options

Aditi Goyal
Thanks a lot Daniel, I will try this option. :)
Is there a way to search for not equal to query alone?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Daniel Noll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 23 June 2008 16:21:17 Aditi Goyal wrote:
> > I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
>
> Wrong:
>

> http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard%28boolean%29>
>
> Daniel

RE: lucene search options

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah
Hi Aditi,
You can search using NOT operator. You can go through below link for Query details http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html
Warm Regards,
Allahbaksh

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
*Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
http://setlabs/slim/
http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot Daniel, I will try this option. :)
Is there a way to search for not equal to query alone?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Daniel Noll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 23 June 2008 16:21:17 Aditi Goyal wrote:
> > I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
>
> Wrong:
>

> http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard(boolean)<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/QueryParser.html#setAllowLeadingWildcard%28boolean%29>
>
> Daniel

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: lucene search options

Aditi Goyal
Thank you Allahbaksh for taking so much pains. The link says it cannot be
used alone.

Note: The NOT operator cannot be used with just one term. For example, the
following search will return no results:

NOT "jakarta apache"
Thanks,
Aditi

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aditi,
> You can search using NOT operator. You can go through below link for Query
> details http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html
> Warm Regards,
> Allahbaksh
>
> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> http://setlabs/slim/
> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Yes Aditi You can use it alone.
Warm regards,
Allahbaksh

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aditi,
> You can search using NOT operator. You can go through below link for Query
> details http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html
> Warm Regards,
> Allahbaksh
>
> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> http://setlabs/slim/
> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Sorry for typo. You cannot edit it alone.
Warm Regards,
Allahbaksh

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aditi,
> You can search using NOT operator. You can go through below link for Query
> details http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html
> Warm Regards,
> Allahbaksh
>
> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> http://setlabs/slim/
> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Re: lucene search options

Aditi Goyal
Oh. For one moment I was elated to hear the news. :(
Is there any way out?

Thanks,
Aditi

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aditi,
> Sorry for typo. You cannot edit it alone.
> Warm Regards,
> Allahbaksh
>
> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> http://setlabs/slim/
> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Re: lucene search options

Aditi Goyal
I am using MultiFieldQueryParser. Can I use setAllowLeadingWildCard with
MultiFieldQueryParser?I am doing the following:

            parser = lucene.MultiFieldQueryParser(fields, analyzer )
            parser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(True)
            query = parser.parse(command)

And I am getting this error:

 ERROR (<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, TypeError("descriptor 'parse'
requires a 'QueryParser' object but received a 'str'",), <traceback object
at 0x02DFA800>)

Thanks a lot

Aditi

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Aditi,
>> Sorry for typo. You cannot edit it alone.
>> Warm Regards,
>> Allahbaksh
>>
>> Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
>> Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
>> Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
>> Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
>> *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
>> Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
>> http://setlabs/slim/
>> http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

rohit saini
Hi aditi,

U can have a field corresponding to this domain....It will solve ur
problem......

bye

Rohit
Impetus technologies- noida
mob. 09910220475

VANDE - MATRAM

Re: lucene search options

saikrishna venkata pendyala
Hi Aditi,

As Rohit said, the best way to solve this problem is to have two fields for
indexing an email-id, one for the username and another for domain name.

Having two fields and using a Boolean Query with MUST condition should solve
your problem. You can also perform restricted search with the above
architecture, like search for user "x" with in the domain "gmail.com"

--Sai Krishna.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:37 PM, rohit saini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi aditi,
>
> U can have a field corresponding to this domain....It will solve ur
> problem......
>
> bye
>
> Rohit
> Impetus technologies- noida
> mob. 09910220475
>

> On 6/23/08, Aditi Goyal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am using Lucene for creating indexes. There is one field as "email"
> which
> > stored the email id.
> > I have few queries regarding searching:
> > 1. I want to search for all the records having domain as "gmail.com" .
> So,
> > is there a way by which I can do a partial search on "email" field such
> > that
> > I get the records matching only the domain name.
> > I think wildcard (*) cannot be used in the beginning :(
> >
> > 2. If I just want to search for the records which are not matching email
> as
> > "[hidden email]"
> > How can I search for it. Here, MUST_NOT cannot be used alone. Is there a
> > way
> > out?
> >

> > Please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Aditi

> VANDE - MATRAM

Re: lucene search options

Daniel Noll-3-2
On Monday 23 June 2008 18:08:29 Aditi Goyal wrote:
> Oh. For one moment I was elated to hear the news. :(
> Is there any way out?

*:* -"jakarta apache"

Or subclass QueryParser and override the getBooleanQuery() method to do this
behind the scenes using MatchAllDocsQuery.

Daniel

Re: lucene search options

hossman

:
:             parser = lucene.MultiFieldQueryParser(fields, analyzer )
:             parser.setAllowLeadingWildcard(True)
:             query = parser.parse(command)
:
: And I am getting this error:
:
:  ERROR (<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, TypeError("descriptor 'parse'
: requires a 'QueryParser' object but received a 'str'",), <traceback object
: at 0x02DFA800>)

the sample code you posted doesn't look like java, and this is not an
error message you would get form java, so i'm guessing you are using a
port (.Net maybe?) ... the error message seems langauge specific (related
to the way the "parse" method is dispatched on a "QueryParser" object) so
you should consult the user communityfor the port you are using.

Re: lucene search options

no spam-11
We are converting a User Interface query to lucene on the back end.  It has
recently come up that users want to do some negative only queries like NOT
"jakarta apache".  What is an efficient way to do this?  We do know what
field they are specifying, ie   -field1:jakarta

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Aditi Goyal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Allahbaksh for taking so much pains. The link says it cannot be
> used alone.
>
> Note: The NOT operator cannot be used with just one term. For example, the
> following search will return no results:
>
> NOT "jakarta apache"
> Thanks,
> Aditi
>

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Aditi,
> > You can search using NOT operator. You can go through below link for
> Query
> > details http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html
> > Warm Regards,
> > Allahbaksh
> >
> > Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
> > Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
> > Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
> > Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
> > *Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
> > Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
> > http://setlabs/slim/
> > http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com

Anshum-2
Hi,

An easy way to do that would be to index a particular term with all docs
e.g. "dummyword" could be indexed for all documents as a value for a
dummyfield or an existing field.
This way lets assume you want to fetch results for -filed1:jakarta
You could search for dummyfield:"dummyword" AND NOT filed1:jakarta

This is just one of the solution, though I still would not understand if
there's a logical reason for fetching such results.:)

--
Anshum Gupta
Naukri Labs!