mergesegs deletes ALL the segments

Ian Holsman-3

Hi.

I'm trying to clean up my segment directory (too stop getting too many
open files).
but when I run

nutch mergesegs segments -m index -ds -i

it deletes *ALL* the segments making the search engine useless.

I am using a recent nightly version (2005-05-15) if that is a issue.

Re: mergesegs deletes ALL the segments

Andrzej Białecki-2
Ian Holsman wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to clean up my segment directory (too stop getting too many
> open files).
> but when I run
>
> nutch mergesegs segments -m index -ds -i
>
> it deletes *ALL* the segments making the search engine useless.
>

> I am using a recent nightly version (2005-05-15) if that is a issue.

Yes, there is a bug there - thanks for spotting this. Line 570 should
read the following:

     if (output == null) output = ((File)dirs.get(0)).getParentFile();

I'll fix it. In the meantime you can also try the -o output_dir .

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: mergesegs deletes ALL the segments

Lee-4
The quick fix is to specify an output directory.

What is happening (and probably should not) is if you don't specify an
output directory, merge defaults the output directory to the first
inputed segment (or the first in the directory list).  And if you
specify -ds for delete, you delete your input segment containing your
newly merged segment(s).