more multicore fun

dsteiger
OK.  Last question for a while (hopefully), but something else with
multicore seems to be wrong.

<solr persistent="true">
   <cores adminPath="/admin/multicore">
     <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0"/>
     <core name="core1" instanceDir="core1"/>
   </cores>
</solr>

$ java -jar start.jar
INFO: [core0] Opening new SolrCore at solr/core0/, dataDir=./solr/data/
INFO: [core1] Opening new SolrCore at solr/core1/, dataDir=./solr/data/

The instanceDir seems to be fine, but the dataDir isn't being set
correctly.  The dataDir is actually example/solr/data instead of
example/solr/core{0|1}/data.

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/multicore shows the exact same path
to the index for both cores.  Am I missing something that the example
multicore config doesn't use?

Thanks.
Doug

Re: more multicore fun

Ryan McKinley
the dataDir is configured in solrconfig.xml

With multicore it is currently a bit wonky.  Currenlty, you need to
configure it explicitly for each core, but it shares the same system
variables: ${solr.data.dir}, so if you use properties, you end up
pointing to the same place.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-545 is hoping to solve
this...

Before 1.3 is released, you will either be able to:
1. set the dataDir from your solr.xml config
   <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0" dataDir="XXX" />

or 2. set a system property in solr.xml and have solrconfig decide
where the dataDir is...

for now -- if you remove the dataDir config from solrconfig.xml it
will use the default directory for each instanceDir and will point to
independent locations...

ryan

On Aug 13, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Doug Steigerwald wrote:

> OK.  Last question for a while (hopefully), but something else with
> multicore seems to be wrong.
>
> <solr persistent="true">
>  <cores adminPath="/admin/multicore">
>    <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0"/>
>    <core name="core1" instanceDir="core1"/>
>  </cores>
> </solr>
>
> $ java -jar start.jar
> INFO: [core0] Opening new SolrCore at solr/core0/, dataDir=./solr/
> data/
> INFO: [core1] Opening new SolrCore at solr/core1/, dataDir=./solr/
> data/
>
> The instanceDir seems to be fine, but the dataDir isn't being set
> correctly.  The dataDir is actually example/solr/data instead of
> example/solr/core{0|1}/data.
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/multicore shows the exact same path
> to the index for both cores.  Am I missing something that the
> example multicore config doesn't use?
>
> Thanks.
> Doug

Re: more multicore fun

dsteiger
Ah, that's right.  Thanks.  Forgot I had to do that with our current
setup in production.

On Aug 13, 2008, at 3:05 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> the dataDir is configured in solrconfig.xml
>
> With multicore it is currently a bit wonky.  Currenlty, you need to
> configure it explicitly for each core, but it shares the same system
> variables: ${solr.data.dir}, so if you use properties, you end up
> pointing to the same place.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-545 is hoping to solve
> this...
>
> Before 1.3 is released, you will either be able to:
> 1. set the dataDir from your solr.xml config
>  <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0" dataDir="XXX" />
>
> or 2. set a system property in solr.xml and have solrconfig decide
> where the dataDir is...
>
> for now -- if you remove the dataDir config from solrconfig.xml it
> will use the default directory for each instanceDir and will point
> to independent locations...
>
> ryan
>

> On Aug 13, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Doug Steigerwald wrote:
>
>> OK.  Last question for a while (hopefully), but something else with
>> multicore seems to be wrong.
>>
>> <solr persistent="true">
>> <cores adminPath="/admin/multicore">
>>   <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0"/>
>>   <core name="core1" instanceDir="core1"/>
>> </cores>
>> </solr>
>>
>> $ java -jar start.jar
>> INFO: [core0] Opening new SolrCore at solr/core0/, dataDir=./solr/
>> data/
>> INFO: [core1] Opening new SolrCore at solr/core1/, dataDir=./solr/
>> data/
>>
>> The instanceDir seems to be fine, but the dataDir isn't being set
>> correctly.  The dataDir is actually example/solr/data instead of
>> example/solr/core{0|1}/data.
>>
>> http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/multicore shows the exact same
>> path to the index for both cores.  Am I missing something that the
>> example multicore config doesn't use?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Doug

RE: more multicore fun

Andrew Nagy-2
Doug - I had this same problem today.  If you look at my post from earlier today you will see the problem.  You will need to adjust the solr.data.dir value in the solrconfig.xml.

Maybe this also needs to be changed in the example solrconfig.xml document?

Andrew

RE: more multicore fun

Andrew Nagy-2
Thanks for clarifing that Ryan - I was a bit confused too...

> Before 1.3 is released, you will either be able to:
> 1. set the dataDir from your solr.xml config
>    <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0" dataDir="XXX" />

I have been perusing the multicore code and found that the "default" attribute was removed.  It also appears that the "dataDir" attribute was removed as well, is this true?

Thanks!
Andrew

Re: more multicore fun

Ryan McKinley

On Aug 13, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:

> Thanks for clarifing that Ryan - I was a bit confused too...
>
>> Before 1.3 is released, you will either be able to:
>> 1. set the dataDir from your solr.xml config
>>   <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0" dataDir="XXX" />
>>

> I have been perusing the multicore code and found that the "default"
> attribute was removed.  It also appears that the "dataDir" attribute
> was removed as well, is this true?

yes dataDir was removed before it was committed, but we are still
debating its future:

either you will set dataDir via system params (configurable for each
core) OR via re-introducing this variable.

ryan