moving leader to another replica of a collection?

moving leader to another replica of a collection?

Derek Poh
Hi

This is my situation.
I need to remove a server from the cluster of serversrunning solr in my
production environment. 1of the collection's replica is a leader on this
server.
The collection is setup as 1shard with 5 replicas. With each replica
residing on a physical server.

How can I move or assignanother replicaas the leader on another server?
Or should I just go ahead and stop the solr process on this server and
solr or zookeeper will elect another replicaas leader?

Derek

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including any attachments) from your computer, and you must not use, disclose to anyone else or copy this e-mail (including any attachments), whether in whole or in part.

This e-mail and any reply to it may be monitored for security, legal, regulatory compliance and/or other appropriate reasons.

Re: moving leader to another replica of a collection?

Shawn Heisey-2
On 7/10/2016 7:34 PM, Derek Poh wrote:
> I need to remove a server from the cluster of serversrunning solr in
> my production environment. 1of the collection's replica is a leader on
> this server.
> The collection is setup as 1shard with 5 replicas. With each replica
> residing on a physical server.
>
> How can I move or assignanother replicaas the leader on another server?
> Or should I just go ahead and stop the solr process on this server and
> solr or zookeeper will elect another replicaas leader?

If you shut down that Solr server, the remaining servers will elect a
new leader.

There is the preferred leader functionality, but this is really only
something that's needed if you have a very large number of
collections/shards and need to distribute the leader roles evenly among
multiple servers.  For a small number, having leaders concentrated on
one server does not represent a performance problem.

If the server will be permanently decommissioned, you should probably
use DELETEREPLICA on the collections API to remove all replicas on that
server before shutting it down.  That can also initiate leader election.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: moving leader to another replica of a collection?

Derek Poh
Hi Shawn

Got it.
Will delete all replicas on thatserver first before shutting down solron it.

Thank you,
Derek