multiple indices

Michael Ravits
dear solrs - thanks for all your help.

  I have multiple applications (blogs/forums/video/etc) - each of these is independent (no need to perform queries on multiple indices).
  Would it be best to use multiple instances of SOLR/JVM - one for each index or use a solution where only one JVM instance is running (maybe solr-215?)?

  Considering mostly performance and load on the servers.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: multiple indices

Otis Gospodnetic-2
I would use SOLR-215 instead of running multiple instances on the same box.

Otis
Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/  -  Tag  -  Search  -  Share

Re: multiple indices

Chris Hostetter-3

:   I have multiple applications (blogs/forums/video/etc) - each of these
: is independent (no need to perform queries on multiple indices).

:   Would it be best to use multiple instances of SOLR/JVM - one for each
: index or use a solution where only one JVM instance is running (maybe
: solr-215?)?

you don't actaully need multiple JVM instances to run multiple Solr
instance ... you can configure your ServletContainer to run the solr.war
in multiple contexts each of which has a differnet solrconfig.xml and
schema.xml (using JNDI) ... that way you get most of hte benefits of
isolated instances but also can also take advantage of a single large heap
and common connection management.

Re: multiple indices

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Hm, that JNDI again... this makes it sound like SOLR-215 is completely superfluous?
I have not configured Jetty this way yet, but I do see some docs on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJetty .  Interestingly, the configs look a lot different than what's described on http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/JNDI .  I also remember Jetty Plus from a while back, but now I cannot find any information about Jetty Plus 6.*, only 5 - http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty5/plus/index.html .

Otis

Re: multiple indices

rossini
I have 3 different instances of solr on jetty 6.1.13, but you need the jetty
plus.
my etc/jetty.xml looks like this

    <Call name="addLifeCycle">
      <Arg>
         <New class="org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext">
            <Arg><Ref id="Contexts"/></Arg>
            <Arg><SystemProperty name="jetty.home" default="."/>*
/webapps/solr1*</Arg>
            <Arg>*/solr1*</Arg>
               <Set name="ConfigurationClasses"><Ref id="plusConfig"/></Set>
               <Set name="defaultsDescriptor"><SystemProperty name="
jetty.home" default="."/>/etc/webdefault.xml</Set>
               <New id="solr_home" class="
org.mortbay.jetty.plus.naming.EnvEntry">
                  <Arg>solr/home</Arg>
                  <Arg type="java.lang.String"><SystemProperty name="
jetty.home" default="."/>override this value</Arg>
               </New>
          </New>
      </Arg>
    </Call>
    <Call name="addLifeCycle">
      <Arg>
         <New class="org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext">
            <Arg><Ref id="Contexts"/></Arg>
            <Arg><SystemProperty name="jetty.home" default="."/>*
/webapps/solr2*</Arg>
            <Arg>*/solr2*</Arg>
               <Set name="ConfigurationClasses"><Ref id="plusConfig"/></Set>
               <Set name="defaultsDescriptor"><SystemProperty name="
jetty.home" default="."/>/etc/webdefault.xml</Set>
               <New id="solr_home" class="
org.mortbay.jetty.plus.naming.EnvEntry">
                  <Arg>solr/home</Arg>
                  <Arg type="java.lang.String"><SystemProperty name="
jetty.home" default="."/>override this value</Arg>
               </New>
          </New>
      </Arg>
    </Call>

then, on the webapps/solr1/WEB-INF you need a jetty-env.xml like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE Configure PUBLIC "-//Mort Bay Consulting//DTD Configure//EN" "
http://jetty.mortbay.org/configure.dtd">

<Configure class="org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext">

 <!-- Add an override for a global EnvEntry                           -->
 <New id="solr_home" class="org.mortbay.jetty.plus.naming.EnvEntry">
  <Arg>solr/home</Arg>
  <Arg type="java.lang.String"><SystemProperty name="jetty.home"
default="."/>/solr1</Arg>
 </New>

</Configure>

Hope it helps

On 6/26/07, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm, that JNDI again... this makes it sound like SOLR-215 is completely
> superfluous?
> I have not configured Jetty this way yet, but I do see some docs on
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJetty .  Interestingly, the configs look a
> lot different than what's described on
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/JNDI .  I also remember Jetty Plus
> from a while back, but now I cannot find any information about Jetty Plus
> 6.*, only 5 - http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty5/plus/index.html .
>
> Otis

Re: multiple indices

Chris Hostetter-3

: Hm, that JNDI again... this makes it sound like SOLR-215 is completely
: superfluous?

No ... i still haven't had a chance to review the patch, but Henri makes
some great argmuments for the "WHY" of the patch in the issue
description...

>>> Multiple cores:
>>> Deployment issues within some organizations where IT will resist
>>> deploying multiple web applications.
>>> Seamless schema update where you can create a new core and switch to
>>> it without starting/stopping servers.
>>> Embedding Solr in your own application (instead of 'raw' Lucene) and
>>> functionally need to segregate schemas & collections.

(there are some other arguments i'm not sure i buy into, but these seem
very justified)

-Hoss