new here.need help

saibatchu
Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
 Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

caomanhdat
I'm willing to help you out!
On Sep 11, 2013, at 7:11 AM, saibatchu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
> develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
> university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
> memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
> retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a
> good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
> Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
> Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

Ted Dunning
Check our Solr instead of raw lucene.  Much easier.  If you have documents
with lots and lots of different formats, check out Lucidworks Enterprise.
 They have packaged a lot of other software along with Solr to help pull
documents from all kinds of sources.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM, saibatchu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
> develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
> university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
> memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
> retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a
> good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
>  Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
> Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

Joe Cabrera
For a quick plugin for a class project, Apache Solr is much easier to
understand and implement. If you have more questions feel free to ask
Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a
good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
 Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

Klaus Ramelow
Hello Sai

don´t do that !

the NSA is watching YOU

Am 11.09.2013 02:11, schrieb saibatchu:

> Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
> develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
> university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
> memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
> retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a
> good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
>   Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
> Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

Ted Dunning
Klaus,

How does that have to do with anything here?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Klaus Ramelow <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello Sai
>
> don´t do that !
>
> the NSA is watching YOU
>

> Am 11.09.2013 02:11, schrieb saibatchu:
>
>  Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
>> develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
>> university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
>> memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
>> retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it
>> good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
>>   Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
>> Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

Rich Haase
Yep.  Lets stop using IR systems because the NSA uses them.  Better yet, if we all stop using technology at all then no one can watch our use.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 11, 2013, at 12:49 AM, Klaus Ramelow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Sai
>
> don´t do that !
>
> the NSA is watching YOU
>

> Am 11.09.2013 02:11, schrieb saibatchu:
>> Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
>> develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
>> university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
>> memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
>> retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a
>> good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
>>  Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
>> Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

saibatchu
Thank you very much..
I will contact you if I have any doubts.

Re: new here.need help

saibatchu
Thank you for your interest

Re: new here.need help

saibatchu
Does solr or lucidworks enterprise support the retrieval of images and videos too??? Can we use them with hadoop if in case...Thank you for each and every reaponse guys

Re: new here.need help

Joe Cabrera
Sai,

Apache Solr only support the indexing and retrieval of text documents. Solr
would only be useful for you if you are planning on doing retrieval on the
metadata ( ie. image name, image description, image tags, image keywords,
etc.) for the image. For image retrieval here are some options:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CBIR_engines I'm not sure what your
options are for video retrieval.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM, saibatchu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does solr or lucidworks enterprise support the retrieval of images and
> videos
> too??? Can we use them with hadoop if in case...Thank you for each and
> every
> reaponse guys

Joe Cabrera,
eminorlabs.com

Re: new here.need help

saibatchu

Thank you verymuch joe. Then I guess it would work sam with videos too....right??

On Sep 11, 2013 11:00 AM, "Joe Cabrera [via Lucene]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sai,

Apache Solr only support the indexing and retrieval of text documents. Solr
would only be useful for you if you are planning on doing retrieval on the
metadata ( ie. image name, image description, image tags, image keywords,
etc.) for the image. For image retrieval here are some options:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CBIR_engines I'm not sure what your
options are for video retrieval.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM, saibatchu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does solr or lucidworks enterprise support the retrieval of images and
> videos
> too??? Can we use them with hadoop if in case...Thank you for each and
> every
> reaponse guys

Joe Cabrera,
eminorlabs.com

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/new-here-need-help-tp4089189p4089331.html
NAML

Re: new here.need help

Lee Goddard
Sal, it is easy enough to have the engine search the IPTC metadata of
images, though, in case that was your query.

On 11/09/2013 17:59, Joe Cabrera wrote:

> Sai,
>
> Apache Solr only support the indexing and retrieval of text documents. Solr
> would only be useful for you if you are planning on doing retrieval on the
> metadata ( ie. image name, image description, image tags, image keywords,
> etc.) for the image. For image retrieval here are some options:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CBIR_engines I'm not sure what your
> options are for video retrieval.
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM, saibatchu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does solr or lucidworks enterprise support the retrieval of images and
>> videos
>> too??? Can we use them with hadoop if in case...Thank you for each and
>> every
>> reaponse guys

Re: new here.need help

Prakash Dubey
sai,
Above advice are also good, i am also developing similar search application
to study certain models of IR for my final year project.
I am using the following book "Building Search Applications: Lucene,
LingPipe, and Gate"
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Search-Applications-Lucene-LingPipe/dp/0615204252
for
building search applications. Here every step is written very clearly. You
may find this book very useful according to me.