nexus of synonyms and stemming, take 2

Will Milspec
hi all,

[This is a second attempt at emailing. The apache mailing list spam filter
apparently did not like my synonyms entry, ie.. classified my email as spam.
I have replaced phone with 'foo' , 'cell' with 'sell' and 'mobile' with
'nubile' ]

This is a fairly basic synonyms question: how does synonyms handle stemming?

Example: Synonyms.txt has entry:
  sell,sell foo,nubile,nubile foo,wireless foo

If I want to match on 'sell foos'...

a) do I need to add an entry for 'sell foos' (i.e. in addition to sell foo)
b) or will the stemmer (porter/snowball) handle this already

thanks

will

Re: nexus of synonyms and stemming, take 2

Chris Hostetter-3

: This is a fairly basic synonyms question: how does synonyms handle stemming?

it's all a question of how your analysis chain is configured forh te field
type.

if you have your stemming filter before your synonyms filter, then the
synonyms.txt file needs to map the *stems* of hte synonyms.

if you have stemming after synonyms, then you need to have mappings for
*all* of the roots.

i encourage you to experiement with differnet settings and look at the
analysis.jsp tool to see the effects.

-Hoss