After I changed the the system properties, it was fine.
It took me a while to realize that it was the xml parser that was causing
the issues.. I tried debugging the OnlineClustererFactory's getOnlineCluster
but the problem is, it never gets there.. Issues comes up when
OnlineClustereFactory's X_POINT static member is being loaded. This meant
that search.jsp's servlet never loaded and it was always trying to compile.
Since I didn't have a java 1.4 logging configured properly, I didn't see
many error message either.
However, I was to get it to run by adding just following two lines in the
resin conf (they ask resin to use xercres vs resin's own xml parser)
and this line gave me a little more information abotu what was going on:
Another issue I ran into was that most of the language directories are
missing footer.html, and in search.jsp expects the footer.jsp to be in
towards the end you see:
<jsp:include page="<%= language + "/include/footer.html"%>"/>
I had to change it to
which seems to be the right thing to do regardless as footer.html only
exists in that directory and does not seem to have language specific "stuff"