poly fields in fieldcache

pjaol
Quick question:
Can poly fields be accessed through fieldCache ?

Re: poly fields in fieldcache

Grant Ingersoll-2
For sorting or just in general?

Sorting currently is not supported for PointType, etc. (although it probably could be if someone wanted to define it, although I'm not a 100% sure what it would mean in all cases).

In reality, Poly Fields are just semantic sugar around other fields, at least that is how the current ones are implemented.  So, I suppose they could be made to work w/ the field cache, if they don't already.  I'd have to look specifically, but they do support loading via a ValueSource.

Is there something specific you are looking to do?

-Grant

On Feb 17, 2010, at 6:12 PM, patrick o'leary wrote:

> Quick question:
> Can poly fields be accessed through fieldCache ?

Re: poly fields in fieldcache

pjaol
Cool, we want to examine certain fields of a docset which currently is a
multivalued field, obviously only the first value gets loaded into field
cache.

But if a poly field that can be loaded into FC, then that will work, we can
extend FC to return an Field[] and make that cache aware.

Sorting on multivalued is definitely a subjective matter that a function
query would rock in, having an FC or VS that supports is would make that
much easier, like say events where an event can have multiple dates,
sort_date_compared(performance_dates, NOW)

Or even distances from a poly, polyDistance(convexHull, point) or
polyDistance(center, point) etc..

On Feb 18, 2010, at 1:54 PM, patrick o'leary wrote:

> Cool, we want to examine certain fields of a docset which currently is a
> multivalued field, obviously only the first value gets loaded into field
> cache.
>
> But if a poly field that can be loaded into FC, then that will work, we can
> extend FC to return an Field[] and make that cache aware.

Have you looked at UninvertedField?  Not sure if it is what you are after, but it is essentially multivalued FC.

> Sorting on multivalued is definitely a subjective matter that a function
> query would rock in, having an FC or VS that supports is would make that
> much easier, like say events where an event can have multiple dates,
> sort_date_compared(performance_dates, NOW)

I suppose if you have a multivalued function (see the Vector Distance stuff), you can do that already.  This is in fact how sort by distance works on trunk now.

Yep.

Re: poly fields in fieldcache

pjaol
>Have you looked at UninvertedField?  Not sure if it is what you are after,
but it is essentially multivalued FC.
Yeah, not that much is public in UnInvertedField-