prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Grant Ingersoll-2
I created a Hudson task to do the building/archival tasks for the
release candidates.    It is a on-demand task (i.e. not scheduled)

See
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Candidate/
for the job in general.

The artifacts (including Maven) are at:
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Candidate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

The web site (including javadocs):
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Candidate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release-candidate/build/docs/index.html

I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the
"prototype" in the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it
seems like it is on track.   I will cover it more later today.  In the
meantime, feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Grant

RE: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

steve_rowe
Random nit: in release-candidate/build/docs/who.pdf, Otis's name is spelled "Otis Gospodneti#" (final character is a hash mark). - Steve

On 08/29/2008 at 11:16 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> I created a Hudson task to do the building/archival tasks for the
> release candidates.    It is a on-demand task (i.e. not scheduled)
>
> See http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> didate/ for the job in general.
>
> The artifacts (including Maven) are at:
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
>
> The web site (including javadocs):
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release-candidate/build/do
> cs/index.html
>
> I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the
> "prototype" in the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it
> seems like it is on track.   I will cover it more later
> today.  In the
> meantime, feedback is appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Grant

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Aug 29, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

> Random nit: in release-candidate/build/docs/who.pdf, Otis's name is
> spelled "Otis Gospodneti#" (final character is a hash mark). - Steve

Hmm, that's weird.  It's also that way on the current site.

> On 08/29/2008 at 11:16 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> I created a Hudson task to do the building/archival tasks for the
>> release candidates.    It is a on-demand task (i.e. not scheduled)
>>
>> See http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
>> didate/ for the job in general.
>>
>> The artifacts (including Maven) are at:
>> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
>> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
>>
>> The web site (including javadocs):
>> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
>> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release-candidate/build/do
>> cs/index.html
>>
>> I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the
>> "prototype" in the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it
>> seems like it is on track.   I will cover it more later
>> today.  In the
>> meantime, feedback is appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Grant

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Grant, here is what it's supposed to be:  Gospodnetić

If Forrest and friends don't like that diacritic, I suppose I can live with Gospodnetic -- damn i18n! ;)

This is what I see locally:

$ ffxg Gospod
./src/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/who.xml:  <li>Otis Gospodneti&#263;</li>

$ find . -name \*html | xargs grep Gospod
./site/who.html:<li>Otis Gospodnetić</li>

So the HTML looks OK, but apparently the PDF does not.  I don't know how else to specify that "c with a diacritic" other than with that &#263; .  $10 that Steve knows!

Thank you,
Otis

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
>
> > Random nit: in release-candidate/build/docs/who.pdf, Otis's name is
> > spelled "Otis Gospodneti#" (final character is a hash mark). - Steve
>
> Hmm, that's weird.  It's also that way on the current site.
>

> > On 08/29/2008 at 11:16 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> >> I created a Hudson task to do the building/archival tasks for the
> >> release candidates.    It is a on-demand task (i.e. not scheduled)
> >>
> >> See http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> >> didate/ for the job in general.
> >>
> >> The artifacts (including Maven) are at:
> >> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> >> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
> >>
> >> The web site (including javadocs):
> >> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> >> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release-candidate/build/do
> >> cs/index.html
> >>
> >> I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the
> >> "prototype" in the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it
> >> seems like it is on track.   I will cover it more later
> >> today.  In the
> >> meantime, feedback is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Grant
> >>

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>
> Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Maybe this is the answer:
  http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/faq.html#encoding

And this is what we've got:

$ head -1 src/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/who.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>

Sounds like something that would be good to fix in general, but I don't have forrest set up to try it :(

Otis

> Grant, here is what it's supposed to be:  Gospodnetić
>

> If Forrest and friends don't like that diacritic, I suppose I can live with
> Gospodnetic -- damn i18n! ;)
>
> This is what I see locally:
>
> $ ffxg Gospod
> ./src/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/who.xml:
        * Otis Gospodnetić

> $ find . -name \*html | xargs grep Gospod
> ./site/who.html:
        * Otis Gospodnetić

> So the HTML looks OK, but apparently the PDF does not.  I don't know how else to
> specify that "c with a diacritic" other than with that ć .  $10 that Steve
> knows!
>
> Thank you,
> Otis
> --
> Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Lucene - Solr - Nutch

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

hossman

: If Forrest and friends don't like that diacritic, I suppose I can live
: with Gospodnetic -- damn i18n! ;)

I seem to recall that we had this problem with forrest and the Lucene-Java
"who" page as well ... over there you are listed in lowly ASCII, without
your I18N goodness.

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
>
> > Random nit: in release-candidate/build/docs/who.pdf, Otis's name is
> > spelled "Otis Gospodneti#" (final character is a hash mark). - Steve
>
> Hmm, that's weird.  It's also that way on the current site.
>

> > On 08/29/2008 at 11:16 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> >> I created a Hudson task to do the building/archival tasks for the
> >> release candidates.    It is a on-demand task (i.e. not scheduled)
> >>
> >> See http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> >> didate/ for the job in general.
> >>
> >> The artifacts (including Maven) are at:
> >> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> >> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
> >>
> >> The web site (including javadocs):
> >> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Can
> >> didate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release-candidate/build/do
> >> cs/index.html
> >>
> >> I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the
> >> "prototype" in the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it
> >> seems like it is on track.   I will cover it more later
> >> today.  In the
> >> meantime, feedback is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Grant
> >>

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>
> Lucene Helpful Hints:

:

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

hossman

: Maybe this is the answer:
:  http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/faq.html#encoding

my reading of that is that setting an encoding will let you use the
litteral UTF-8 character 9which is what i would expect) but not the end of
the answer...

>> Another option is to use "character entities" such as &ouml;  (ö) or
>> the numeric form &#246;  (ö).

...which is what we are doing.  I suspect the PDF formatter just doesn't
play nicely with the non-trivial UTF-8 characters.

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Aug 29, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Maybe this is the answer:
>  http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/faq.html#encoding
>
> And this is what we've got:
>
> $ head -1 src/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/who.xml
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> Sounds like something that would be good to fix in general, but I
> don't have forrest set up to try it :(

It's easy to setup ;-)  http://forrest.apache.org.

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

hossman

: I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the "prototype" in
: the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it seems like it is on track.
: I will cover it more later today.  In the meantime, feedback is appreciated.

I've done some testing with both the Solr 1.2 example and the configs from
my apachecon demo last year, the only problem that jumped out at me was SOLR-740.

FWIW: I've also commited some usage/javadoc fixes.

Forrest PDF non-Latin-1 support [was: RE: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1]

steve_rowe
On 08/29/2008 at 3:24 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> I suspect the PDF formatter just doesn't play nicely with the
> non-trivial UTF-8 characters.

This is an Apache FOP FAQ; from <http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters>:

   6.2. Some characters are not displayed, or displayed
        incorrectly, or displayed as "#".

   This usually means the selected font doesn't have a
   glyph for the character.

   The standard text fonts supplied with Acrobat Reader have
   mostly glyphs for characters from the ISO Latin 1 character
   set. [...]

   If you use your own fonts, the font must have a glyph for the
   desired character. Furthermore the font must be available on
   the machine where the PDF is viewed or it must have been
   embedded in the PDF file. [...]

There's an open Forrest bug for this problem: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-132>, and the discussion there includes a link to the Cocoon documentation for embedding fonts in PDF files: <http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/pdf-serializer.html#FOP+and+Embedding+Fonts>.

This looks kinda complicated, and AFAICT would require modifications to the Forrest installation wherever the site is built.

I suspect that almost nobody looks at the PDF version of the "Who we are" page (and I sure am sorry now that I brought this up...)

If things are left as-is, Otis's last name would be displayed properly in the HTML, and garbled in the PDF; if the diacritic is removed, then it will be displayed improperly in both places :)

Steve

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Seems like all issues have been closed. What is the plan for the release
now?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I created a Hudson task to do the building/archival tasks for the release
> candidates.    It is a on-demand task (i.e. not scheduled)
>
> See
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Candidate/ for
> the job in general.
>
> The artifacts (including Maven) are at:
>
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Candidate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
>
> The web site (including javadocs):
>
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Solr%20Release%20Candidate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release-candidate/build/docs/index.html
>
> I haven't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, hence the "prototype" in
> the subject line, but my preliminary skimming of it seems like it is on
> track.   I will cover it more later today.  In the meantime, feedback is
> appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Grant

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1

Yonik Seeley-2
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Seems like all issues have been closed. What is the plan for the release
> now?

I need to update the lucene libs again first... MikeM found+fixed a
lucene bug today.

Re: Forrest PDF non-Latin-1 support [was: RE: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1]

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Thank you Steve!  See, I knew you'd nail it.  I don't want to complicate lives of others just because of one little diacritic.

Otis

> On 08/29/2008 at 3:24 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> > I suspect the PDF formatter just doesn't play nicely with the
> > non-trivial UTF-8 characters.
>
> This is an Apache FOP FAQ; from
> :
>
>    6.2. Some characters are not displayed, or displayed
>         incorrectly, or displayed as "#".
>
>    This usually means the selected font doesn't have a
>    glyph for the character.
>
>    The standard text fonts supplied with Acrobat Reader have
>    mostly glyphs for characters from the ISO Latin 1 character
>    set. [...]
>
>    If you use your own fonts, the font must have a glyph for the
>    desired character. Furthermore the font must be available on
>    the machine where the PDF is viewed or it must have been
>    embedded in the PDF file. [...]
>
> There's an open Forrest bug for this problem:
> , and the discussion there
> includes a link to the Cocoon documentation for embedding fonts in PDF files:
> .
>
> This looks kinda complicated, and AFAICT would require modifications to the
> Forrest installation wherever the site is built.
>
> I suspect that almost nobody looks at the PDF version of the "Who we are" page
> (and I sure am sorry now that I brought this up...)
>
> If things are left as-is, Otis's last name would be displayed properly in the
> HTML, and garbled in the PDF; if the diacritic is removed, then it will be
> displayed improperly in both places :)
>
> Steve

Re: Forrest PDF non-Latin-1 support [was: RE: prototype Solr 1.3 RC 1]

thorsten
On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 17:57 -0400, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> On 08/29/2008 at 3:24 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> > I suspect the PDF formatter just doesn't play nicely with the
> > non-trivial UTF-8 characters.
>
> There's an open Forrest bug for this problem: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-132>, and the discussion there includes a link to the Cocoon documentation for embedding fonts in PDF files: <http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/pdf-serializer.html#FOP+and+Embedding+Fonts>.
>
> This looks kinda complicated, and AFAICT would require modifications to the Forrest installation wherever the site is built.

I just saw the thread, I will have a look.

Which version of forrest is currently recommended? I ask because they
have been done (and still some underway) to the pdf plugin lately.

Will let you know about my findings.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler                                 thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java                      consulting, training and solutions

RE: Forrest PDF non-Latin-1 support [was: RE: prototype Solr 1.3RC 1]

steve_rowe
Hi Thorsten,

The Solr Website Update HOWTO <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Website_Update_HOWTO> says to use Forrest 0.8.

Steve

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 16:28 -0400, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,

Hi Steven,

> On 09/04/2008 at 3:57 PM, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > >
> > > There's an open Forrest bug for this problem:
> > <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-132>, and the discussion
> > there includes a link to the Cocoon documentation for embedding fonts in
> > PDF files:
> > <http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/pdf-serializer.html#FOP+and+Embedding+Fonts>.
> > >
> > > This looks kinda complicated, and AFAICT would require
> > > modifications to the Forrest installation wherever the site is built.
> >
> > I just saw the thread, I will have a look.
> >
> > Which version of forrest is currently recommended? I ask because they
> > have been done (and still some underway) to the pdf plugin lately.
>
> The Solr Website Update HOWTO <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Website_Update_HOWTO> says to use Forrest 0.8.

The problem is in FOP but Jeremias commented on the forrest ml that FOP
0.95 will fix this problem. The most recent thread around this issue is:
http://marc.info/?t=122095109600018&r=1&w=2

I am sorry that there is no quick fix for the current release but I will
keep you informed as soon the problem is fixed and we can release 0.9.

salu2