"People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

"People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

Aaron Schon

Hi all, Apologies if this question is off-topic, but I was wondering if there is a way of leveraging Lucene (or other mechanism) to store the information about connections and recommend People you might know as done in FB or LI.

The data is as follows:

[hidden email], [hidden email]

[hidden email], [hidden email]

and so on...

how would I go about recommending Jane Doe connecting to Frank Jones?. Hope you can help a newbie by pointing where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance,
AS

Re: "People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

Glen Newton
You might try looking in a list that talks about recommender systems.
Google hits:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recommendation_system
- ACM Recommender Systems 2009 http://recsys.acm.org/
- A Guide to Recommender Systems
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/recommender_systems.php

2009/3/17 Aaron Schon <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all, Apologies if this question is off-topic, but I was wondering if there is a way of leveraging Lucene (or other mechanism) to store the information about connections and recommend People you might know as done in FB or LI.
>
> The data is as follows:
>
> [hidden email], [hidden email]
>

> [hidden email], [hidden email]
>
> and so on...
>
> how would I go about recommending Jane Doe connecting to Frank Jones?. Hope you can help a newbie by pointing where I should be looking?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> AS

-

RE: "People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

Max Metral
I'm not sure this would fall primarily under recommenders... I would assume Facebook is doing "look-ahead" on connections.  i.e. A->B, B->C, so suggest A->C.  Then they weight the suggestions by the number of indirect links between A and C and probably other factors (which is where the generic "recommender" stuff may come in).  I think the bigger challenge here is storing the connections in such a way that the lookahead is easy, and I don't think Lucene will help you much there.

I've always assumed the right approach for these systems is to "blow out" the connections in a db, i.e. if I care about three levels, I insert a row for direction connections, connections resulting from direct, and connections resulting from that.  Storage is cheap, disk speed is low, etc.  But not sure if there's a more intelligent way to do that.

It reminds me a bit of another common problem I don't think I've seen an efficient system for yet - AJAX prefix matching (I type McD and you search millions of entries to bring back McDonalds and others).  People say use NGram for that, but there must be some sort of tree like data structure which would be more efficient.

You might try looking in a list that talks about recommender systems.
Google hits:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recommendation_system
- ACM Recommender Systems 2009 http://recsys.acm.org/
- A Guide to Recommender Systems
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/recommender_systems.php

2009/3/17 Aaron Schon <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all, Apologies if this question is off-topic, but I was wondering if there is a way of leveraging Lucene (or other mechanism) to store the information about connections and recommend People you might know as done in FB or LI.
>
> The data is as follows:
>
> [hidden email], [hidden email]
>

> [hidden email], [hidden email]
>
> and so on...
>
> how would I go about recommending Jane Doe connecting to Frank Jones?. Hope you can help a newbie by pointing where I should be looking?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> AS

-

Re: "People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

Grant Ingersoll-2
Have a look at the Lucene sister project: Mahout:  http://lucene.apache.org/mahout
.  In there is the Taste collaborative filtering project which is all
about recommendations.

On Mar 17, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Aaron Schon wrote:

> Hi all, Apologies if this question is off-topic, but I was wondering
> if there is a way of leveraging Lucene (or other mechanism) to store
> the information about connections and recommend People you might
> know as done in FB or LI.
>
> The data is as follows:
>
> [hidden email], [hidden email]
>

> [hidden email], [hidden email]
>
> and so on...
>
> how would I go about recommending Jane Doe connecting to Frank
> Jones?. Hope you can help a newbie by pointing where I should be
> looking?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> AS

Re: "People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

Petite Abeille-2-2

On Mar 17, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Aaron Schon wrote:

> how would I go about recommending Jane Doe connecting to Frank
> Jones?. Hope you can help a newbie by pointing where I should be
> looking?

You might as well read something about it to get you started:

"Programming Collective Intelligence"
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529321/

Cheers,

--
PA.
http://alt.textdrive.com/nanoki/

Re: "People you might know" ( a la Facebook) - *slightly offtopic*

Karl Wettin
There is even an old thread about this on the Mahout-users list:

http://markmail.org/message/ludu5hjfczuvgk3n