release 2.4 soon?

Michael McCandless-2

There are a number of good changes on the trunk, and it's been 7
months since we released 2.3.0, and we wanted to do more frequent
releases.... so what do you all think of releasing 2.4 soon?

Mike

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Yonik Seeley-2
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Michael McCandless
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are a number of good changes on the trunk, and it's been 7 months
> since we released 2.3.0, and we wanted to do more frequent releases.... so
> what do you all think of releasing 2.4 soon?

+1

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Grant Ingersoll-2
+1

On Aug 18, 2008, at 5:38 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> There are a number of good changes on the trunk, and it's been 7
> months since we released 2.3.0, and we wanted to do more frequent
> releases.... so what do you all think of releasing 2.4 soon?
>
> Mike

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Michael Busch
+1

-Michael

Michael McCandless wrote:

> There are a number of good changes on the trunk, and it's been 7 months
> since we released 2.3.0, and we wanted to do more frequent releases....
> so what do you all think of releasing 2.4 soon?
>
> Mike

RE: release 2.4 soon?

Uwe Schindler
Hi Mike,

one question (as I did not look into the svn or snapshots):
Is the new FieldCache implementation with optimized reopen() included in
this version or will this come with 3.0? At the moment, this is my biggest
performance problem with Lucene on sorted results when the index is reopened
often.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> > There are a number of good changes on the trunk, and it's been 7 months
> > since we released 2.3.0, and we wanted to do more frequent releases....
> > so what do you all think of releasing 2.4 soon?
> >
> > Mike

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Michael Busch
Hi Uwe,

I think the patch is not ready to commit. If we want to release 2.4 very
soon, then the new FieldCache will not be part of it.

I haven't had time to work on it and I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks,
afterwards I should have some time to help working on it.

-Michael

Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> one question (as I did not look into the svn or snapshots):
> Is the new FieldCache implementation with optimized reopen() included in
> this version or will this come with 3.0? At the moment, this is my biggest
> performance problem with Lucene on sorted results when the index is reopened
> often.
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

RE: release 2.4 soon?

Uwe Schindler
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information!

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> I think the patch is not ready to commit. If we want to release 2.4 very
> soon, then the new FieldCache will not be part of it.
>
> I haven't had time to work on it and I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks,
> afterwards I should have some time to help working on it.
>
> -Michael
>
> Uwe Schindler wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > one question (as I did not look into the svn or snapshots):
> > Is the new FieldCache implementation with optimized reopen() included in
> > this version or will this come with 3.0? At the moment, this is my
> biggest
> > performance problem with Lucene on sorted results when the index is
> reopened
> > often.
> >
> > Uwe
> >
> > -----
> > Uwe Schindler
> > H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> > http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Michael McCandless-2

OK we have 18 issues currently unresolved and marked as 2.4 fix version:

     https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312681

I've got 4 of the issues; I should be able to resolve 3 of them soon,
and the 4th (LUCENE-1329: read-only IndexReader) in maybe a week or so.

7 of the issues remain unassigned.  Can you all have a look and nudge
these issues forwards?

Also, if anyone has any issue not yet marked as 2.4 that you'd like to
see fixed in 2.4, now is the time to say so!

Mike

Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the information!
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Mark Miller-3
What about the one or two not on the list marked 2.3.3? Should prob move
those forward for consideration as well.

Michael McCandless wrote:

> OK we have 18 issues currently unresolved and marked as 2.4 fix version:
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312681
>

> I've got 4 of the issues; I should be able to resolve 3 of them soon,
> and the 4th (LUCENE-1329: read-only IndexReader) in maybe a week or so.
>
> 7 of the issues remain unassigned.  Can you all have a look and nudge
> these issues forwards?
>
> Also, if anyone has any issue not yet marked as 2.4 that you'd like to
> see fixed in 2.4, now is the time to say so!
>
> Mike
>
> Uwe Schindler wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Thanks for the information!
>>
>> -----
>> Uwe Schindler
>> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
>> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Michael McCandless-2

Yes, please.  In fact we should mark them as both 2.3.3 and 2.4.

Mike

Mark Miller wrote:

> What about the one or two not on the list marked 2.3.3? Should prob
> move those forward for consideration as well.
>
> Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>> OK we have 18 issues currently unresolved and marked as 2.4 fix
>> version:
>>
>>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312681
>>
>> I've got 4 of the issues; I should be able to resolve 3 of them
>> soon, and the 4th (LUCENE-1329: read-only IndexReader) in maybe a
>> week or so.
>>
>> 7 of the issues remain unassigned.  Can you all have a look and
>> nudge these issues forwards?
>>
>> Also, if anyone has any issue not yet marked as 2.4 that you'd like
>> to see fixed in 2.4, now is the time to say so!
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Uwe Schindler wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the information!
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Uwe Schindler
>>> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
>>> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: release 2.4 soon?

Michael McCandless-2

We are now down to 15 2.4 issues:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312681

2 are mine; I hope to resolve them this week.  Karl has one which
looks like it'll be committed soon.

I'm most concerned about the 5 unassigned issues -- can you all have a
peek at these and when possible take the issue, or nudge it forward,
or move it out of 2.4?  Thanks!

Mike