roadmap

Lukas Kahwe Smith
Hi,

With the Lucene svn merge a lot of tentative release dates seemed to have slipped. Which is fine, because I think the merge is for the greater good of both projects in the long run.

However I do subscribe to the school of thought that believes OSS is best served with a release often mantra. Of course such a one time restructure can add a few months. So right now the main thing I feel a lot of people are wanting to hear is a tenative timeline for when to expect the next release and the key features that we can expect.

At least looking at http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ I do not see anything that communicates to the users where things are heading. Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

I hope I am not coming off as a whiney user, again I am not telling you guys to work harder without me handing you a pay check. I am just suggesting that a bit more transparency as to whats going to happen in the near future would make it all the more easier for us users to bet our futures on solr :)

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith

RE: roadmap

Markus Jelsma
You should check Jira's roadmap [1] instead. It shows a clear picture of what has been done since the 1.4.1 release and pending issues for the 3.x branch and others.

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

On 09.09.2010, at 20:47, Markus Jelsma wrote:

> You should check Jira's roadmap [1] instead. It shows a clear picture of what has been done since the 1.4.1 release and pending issues for the 3.x branch and others.
>

> [1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

good point. then again this link leaves a lot of open questions. for one i have heard many core solr guys say that 1.5 will likely never be released. am i just following a rumor here, but I guess the "now defunt" note would imply that I guess all the 1.5 tickets will just move to whatever comes next? also it doesnt mention tentative release schedules either.

anyway, i think it for now a little news port on the main page with a short explanation what happened and what the key goal (new features, improvements) are for the next release and a ball park when to expect them would go a long way.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[hidden email]