shard.preference for single shard queries

shard.preference for single shard queries

spanchal
Hi all, Thanks to  SOLR-11982
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11982>   we can now give solr
parameter to sort replicas while giving results but ONLY for distributed
queries as per documentation. May I know why this limitation?

As my setup, I have 3 replicas(2 NRT, 1 PULL) of a single shard on 3
different machines. Since NRT replicas might be busy with indexing, I would
like my queries to land on PULL replica as a preferred option. And
shard.preference=replica.type:PULL is not working in my case.
Please help, thanks.

Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

Re: shard.preference for single shard queries

Tomás Fernández Löbbe
Look at SOLR-12217, it explains the limitation and has a patch for SolrJ
cases. Should be merged soon.

Note that the combination of replica types you are describing is not
recommended. See
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_1/shards-and-indexing-data-in-solrcloud.html#combining-replica-types-in-a-cluster