shared server

Tim Archambault-2
Signed up for hosting at performancehosting.net which has shared Tomcat
services. I'm using it to play with Solr.

I've installed the Solr war file from the downloadable Solr Nightly
Update zip through the Tomcat interface.

Obviously nothing works. I know nothing about Java so can anyone give me a
hint as to what variables need to be adjusted to work in this scenario?

http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/stats.jsp: Unable to compile
class for JSP
http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/index.jsp HTTP Status 500

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Re: shared server

Yonik Seeley-2
One potential problem is the old tomcat version (5.5.9)... I haven't
tried that version myself.
You might want to verify locally that it works.

More likely, it's the configuration of their "shared tomcat services".
The solr.war alone won't work w/o config like a schema and solrconfig.xml
If you can, put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the
directory that tomcat starts in.

Baring that, you may have to make a custom war by exploding the Solr
war and editing the web.xml, pointing solr.home to the correct place.

-Yonik

On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Signed up for hosting at performancehosting.net which has shared Tomcat
> services. I'm using it to play with Solr.
>
> I've installed the Solr war file from the downloadable Solr Nightly
> Update zip through the Tomcat interface.
>
> Obviously nothing works. I know nothing about Java so can anyone give me a
> hint as to what variables need to be adjusted to work in this scenario?
>
> http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/stats.jsp: Unable to compile
> class for JSP
> http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/index.jsp HTTP Status 500
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Tim

Re: shared server

Tim Archambault-2
I figured it had something to do with making changes and "recompiling" the
war. I've got it working fine locally with Jetty. It' great.

Thanks.

> One potential problem is the old tomcat version (5.5.9)... I haven't
> tried that version myself.
> You might want to verify locally that it works.
>
> More likely, it's the configuration of their "shared tomcat services".
> The solr.war alone won't work w/o config like a schema and solrconfig.xml
> If you can, put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the
> directory that tomcat starts in.
>
> Baring that, you may have to make a custom war by exploding the Solr
> war and editing the web.xml, pointing solr.home to the correct place.
>
> -Yonik
>
> On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Signed up for hosting at performancehosting.net which has shared Tomcat
> > services. I'm using it to play with Solr.
> >
> > I've installed the Solr war file from the downloadable Solr Nightly
> > Update zip through the Tomcat interface.
> >
> > Obviously nothing works. I know nothing about Java so can anyone give me
> > hint as to what variables need to be adjusted to work in this scenario?
> >
> > http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/stats.jsp: Unable to compile
> > class for JSP
> > http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/index.jsp HTTP Status 500
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Tim

Re: shared server

Tim Archambault-2
Yonik,

*"put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the directory that
tomcat starts in"*

Would this be related to the "instance" of Tomcat I'm using?

I supposed this could be available under my root. If it's where Tomcat
starts on the server, I doubt I can place any files in that directory.

Thanks for the help.

> One potential problem is the old tomcat version (5.5.9)... I haven't
> tried that version myself.
> You might want to verify locally that it works.
>
> More likely, it's the configuration of their "shared tomcat services".
> The solr.war alone won't work w/o config like a schema and solrconfig.xml
> If you can, put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the
> directory that tomcat starts in.
>
> Baring that, you may have to make a custom war by exploding the Solr
> war and editing the web.xml, pointing solr.home to the correct place.
>
> -Yonik
>
> On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Signed up for hosting at performancehosting.net which has shared Tomcat
> > services. I'm using it to play with Solr.
> >
> > I've installed the Solr war file from the downloadable Solr Nightly
> > Update zip through the Tomcat interface.
> >
> > Obviously nothing works. I know nothing about Java so can anyone give me
> > hint as to what variables need to be adjusted to work in this scenario?
> >
> > http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/stats.jsp: Unable to compile
> > class for JSP
> > http://strategic-points.com:8180/solr/admin/index.jsp HTTP Status 500
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Tim

Re: shared server

Yonik Seeley-2
On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yonik,
>
> *"put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the directory that
> tomcat starts in"*
>
> Would this be related to the "instance" of Tomcat I'm using?

Probably, yes.

> I supposed this could be available under my root. If it's where Tomcat
> starts on the server, I doubt I can place any files in that directory.

The best thing then would be to edit the web.xml and bake in the
location of where you can put the solr home (containing ./conf ./data
)

The system property you would want to set is solr.solr.home
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ConfiguringSolr

Or if you have access to the Tomcat config directories, you could use
the method described under "Multiple Solr Webapps" here:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

Re: shared server

Tim Archambault-2
Interesting, these files that you speak of are not even in my ftp site. They
must not be part of the war file. This might actually make sense because
they are actually the config files that "run" the Solr model if I'm not
mistaken (excuse my simpleness here).

> On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yonik,
> >
> > *"put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the directory that
> > tomcat starts in"*
> >
> > Would this be related to the "instance" of Tomcat I'm using?
>
> Probably, yes.
>
> > I supposed this could be available under my root. If it's where Tomcat
> > starts on the server, I doubt I can place any files in that directory.
>
> The best thing then would be to edit the web.xml and bake in the
> location of where you can put the solr home (containing ./conf ./data
> )
>
> The system property you would want to set is solr.solr.home
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ConfiguringSolr
>
> Or if you have access to the Tomcat config directories, you could use
> the method described under "Multiple Solr Webapps" here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
>
> -Yonik

Re: shared server

Tim Archambault-2
Damn sorry Yonik I wasn't clear. I have no visible "conf" or "data" folders.

On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting, these files that you speak of are not even in my ftp site.
> They must not be part of the war file. This might actually make sense
> because they are actually the config files that "run" the Solr model if I'm
> not mistaken (excuse my simpleness here).
>
> On 10/26/06, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/26/06, Tim Archambault <[hidden email] > wrote:
> > > Yonik,
> > >
> > > *"put the solr home (containing conf, data, etc) in the directory that
> > > tomcat starts in"*
> > >
> > > Would this be related to the "instance" of Tomcat I'm using?
> >
> > Probably, yes.
> >
> > > I supposed this could be available under my root. If it's where Tomcat
> > > starts on the server, I doubt I can place any files in that directory.
> >
> > The best thing then would be to edit the web.xml and bake in the
> > location of where you can put the solr home (containing ./conf ./data
> > )
> >
> > The system property you would want to set is solr.solr.home
> > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ConfiguringSolr
> >
> > Or if you have access to the Tomcat config directories, you could use
> > the method described under "Multiple Solr Webapps" here:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
> >
> > -Yonik

Re: shared server

Chris Hostetter-3

: Damn sorry Yonik I wasn't clear. I have no visible "conf" or "data" folders.

: > Interesting, these files that you speak of are not even in my ftp site.
: > They must not be part of the war file. This might actually make sense
: > because they are actually the config files that "run" the Solr model if I'm
: > not mistaken (excuse my simpleness here).

right ... the "Solr home dir" is not part of the war, you are expected to
provide that yourself, and it should contain the conf directory with your
solrconfig.xml and schema.xml, it should also have a data directory which
is writable by the user tomcat is running as.

the "example" directory that comes with the nightly builds shows you an
example of what the "Solr home dir" should look like, and the wiki's yonik
pointed to discuss the different ways you can make sure Solr finds it (cwd
tomcat is run in, a system property, an a JNDI lookup)

See also...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrInstall

: > > The system property you would want to set is solr.solr.home
: > > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ConfiguringSolr
: > >
: > > Or if you have access to the Tomcat config directories, you could use
: > > the method described under "Multiple Solr Webapps" here:
: > > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

-Hoss