snappuller / rsync

sunnyShiny06
Hi,

Sorry again,
Can you please clear up a point :
snappuller should be run on a slave's server to check new snapshots and pull them.
and rsyncd is runned from the master.

I don't get really what is rsyncd role?
thanks

RE: snappuller / rsync

Kashyap, Raghu
Hi,

  Rsyncd is the rsync(http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/)  daemon. You need
to make sure that Rsynchd is running on both master & the slave
machines. You use snapshooter on the master server to create the
snapshot & run snappuller on the slave machines to pull those snapshots
from master server and install it using the snapinstaller

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution

-Raghu

RE: snappuller / rsync

sunnyShiny06
Hi Raghu,

Thanks it's clear now;

Kashyap, Raghu wrote
Hi,

  Rsyncd is the rsync(http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/)  daemon. You need
to make sure that Rsynchd is running on both master & the slave
machines. You use snapshooter on the master server to create the
snapshot & run snappuller on the slave machines to pull those snapshots
from master server and install it using the snapinstaller

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution

-Raghu

Re: snappuller / rsync

Bill Au
You only need to run the rsync daemon on the master.

Bill

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM, sunnyfr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Raghu,
>
> Thanks it's clear now;
>

> Kashyap, Raghu wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Rsyncd is the rsync(http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/)  daemon. You need
> > to make sure that Rsynchd is running on both master & the slave
> > machines. You use snapshooter on the master server to create the
> > snapshot & run snappuller on the slave machines to pull those snapshots
> > from master server and install it using the snapinstaller
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution
> >
> > -Raghu

Yes but even if I run it I've no snapshot created, I don't get how I can fixe it.

Bill Au wrote

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM, sunnyfr <johanna.34@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Raghu,
>
> Thanks it's clear now;
>

> Kashyap, Raghu wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Rsyncd is the rsync(http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/)  daemon. You need
> > to make sure that Rsynchd is running on both master & the slave
> > machines. You use snapshooter on the master server to create the
> > snapshot & run snappuller on the slave machines to pull those snapshots
> > from master server and install it using the snapinstaller
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution
> >
> > -Raghu

Try running snapshooter with the "-V" option.  That will show debugging
info.

Bill

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:49 AM, sunnyfr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes but even if I run it I've no snapshot created, I don't get how I can
> fixe
> it.
>

> Bill Au wrote:
> >
> > You only need to run the rsync daemon on the master.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM, sunnyfr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Raghu,
> >>
> >> Thanks it's clear now;

> need
> snapshots

Re: snappuller / rsync

sunnyShiny06
Ok thanks just did it, and it's ok, it runs manually.

I just don't get about this files :  they should be created when update on an index or new index ?
If yes how come there is several files (at the same hour/min), is it because the file can't exceed a size?

Last question concerning snappuller on the slave's server.
When I run it does just take the last snapshot file, is it normal ?

MY SLAVE (after snappuller action)
root@solr-test-slave:/# ls -ll data/solr/books/data
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 22 17:20 index
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 22 16:49 snapshot.20080922164929

MY MASTER

root@solr-test-master:/# ls -ll data/solr/books/data
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 2 tomcat55 nogroup 8192 Sep 22 12:22 index
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     root    4096 Sep 22 16:20 snapshot.20080922162058
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     root    4096 Sep 22 16:21 snapshot.20080922162101
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     root    4096 Sep 22 16:41 snapshot.20080922164152
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     root    4096 Sep 22 16:41 snapshot.20080922164156

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:49 AM, sunnyfr <johanna.34@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes but even if I run it I've no snapshot created, I don't get how I can
> fixe
> it.
>

> Bill Au wrote:
> >
> > You only need to run the rsync daemon on the master.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM, sunnyfr <johanna.34@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Raghu,
> >>
> >> Thanks it's clear now;

> need
> snapshots

Re: snappuller / rsync

Bill Au
By default snappuller pulls the most recent snapshot.  But you can also
specify a snapshot by name.  All the distribution scripts are documented
here:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCollectionDistributionScripts

Bill