solr 1.4 lite ?

pjaol
Just using the apache-solr example directory, it seems to have gotten a bit
big
e.g.

$ du -sh *
13M     apache-solr-1.3.0
92M     apache-solr-1.4.0

The biggest space user being example-DIH

apache-solr-1.4.0/example
$ du -sh *
4.0K    README.txt
5.5M    clustering
80K     etc
*32M     example-DIH*
42K     exampleAnalysis
168K    exampledocs
13M     lib
52K     logs
118K    multicore
*31M     solr*
20K     start.jar
12M     webapps
12K     work

solr/lib is now 30mb
apache-solr-1.4.0/example/solr/lib
$ ls -lhS
total 30M
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None  14M Jun 10 17:08 ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None 4.3M Jun 10 17:08 icu4j-3.8.jar
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None 3.2M Jun 10 17:08 pdfbox-0.7.3.jar
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None 2.6M Jun 10 17:08 xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.5M Jun 10 17:08 poi-3.5-beta5.jar
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.2M Jun 10 17:08 xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
-rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.1M Jun 10 17:08 bcprov-jdk14-132.jar

as opposed to 0 for 1.3.0

This pushes solr to over a 100mb download for features that I'm sure can be
packaged up separately as they look seldom used.
It would make sense if there's going to be a batteries included version to
also have a solr-lite version.

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Yonik Seeley-2-2
Thanks for bringing this up Patrick... clearly it would be nice to
avoid (or mandate) 100MB downloads!

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM, patrick o'leary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just using the apache-solr example directory, it seems to have gotten a bit
> big
> e.g.
>
> $ du -sh *
> 13M     apache-solr-1.3.0
> 92M     apache-solr-1.4.0
>
> The biggest space user being example-DIH
>
> apache-solr-1.4.0/example
> $ du -sh *
> 4.0K    README.txt
> 5.5M    clustering
> 80K     etc
> *32M     example-DIH*
> 42K     exampleAnalysis
> 168K    exampledocs
> 13M     lib
> 52K     logs
> 118K    multicore
> *31M     solr*
> 20K     start.jar
> 12M     webapps
> 12K     work
>
> solr/lib is now 30mb
> apache-solr-1.4.0/example/solr/lib
> $ ls -lhS
> total 30M
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None  14M Jun 10 17:08 ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 4.3M Jun 10 17:08 icu4j-3.8.jar
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 3.2M Jun 10 17:08 pdfbox-0.7.3.jar
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 2.6M Jun 10 17:08 xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.5M Jun 10 17:08 poi-3.5-beta5.jar
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.2M Jun 10 17:08 xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.1M Jun 10 17:08 bcprov-jdk14-132.jar
>
> as opposed to 0 for 1.3.0
>
> This pushes solr to over a 100mb download for features that I'm sure can be
> packaged up separately as they look seldom used.
> It would make sense if there's going to be a batteries included version to
> also have a solr-lite version.

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Grant Ingersoll-2
+1

Should be easy enough to conjure up the Ant magic.

On Jun 10, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up Patrick... clearly it would be nice to
> avoid (or mandate) 100MB downloads!
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM, patrick o'leary <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Just using the apache-solr example directory, it seems to have
>> gotten a bit
>> big
>> e.g.
>>
>> $ du -sh *
>> 13M     apache-solr-1.3.0
>> 92M     apache-solr-1.4.0
>>
>> The biggest space user being example-DIH
>>
>> apache-solr-1.4.0/example
>> $ du -sh *
>> 4.0K    README.txt
>> 5.5M    clustering
>> 80K     etc
>> *32M     example-DIH*
>> 42K     exampleAnalysis
>> 168K    exampledocs
>> 13M     lib
>> 52K     logs
>> 118K    multicore
>> *31M     solr*
>> 20K     start.jar
>> 12M     webapps
>> 12K     work
>>
>> solr/lib is now 30mb
>> apache-solr-1.4.0/example/solr/lib
>> $ ls -lhS
>> total 30M
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None  14M Jun 10 17:08 ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 4.3M Jun 10 17:08 icu4j-3.8.jar
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 3.2M Jun 10 17:08 pdfbox-0.7.3.jar
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 2.6M Jun 10 17:08 xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.5M Jun 10 17:08 poi-3.5-beta5.jar
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.2M Jun 10 17:08 xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.1M Jun 10 17:08 bcprov-jdk14-132.jar
>>
>> as opposed to 0 for 1.3.0
>>
>> This pushes solr to over a 100mb download for features that I'm
>> sure can be
>> packaged up separately as they look seldom used.
>> It would make sense if there's going to be a batteries included
>> version to
>> also have a solr-lite version.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Eric Pugh-4
Has anyone really complained about the size of Solr?  One of the
things I like about Solr is how simple it is to get things up and
running, and how accesible the example directory makes everything.
When I first played with DIH and Cell, everything was there.  I didn't
have to chase down .jar's from multiple places.  Maybe if it was as
simple as "ant build-example-cell" and "ant build-example-dih" then
there might not be a barrier to entry for new users.

I'd be curious to hear what percentage of folks deploy solr based on
the example app, and how many just start out with the most stripped
down solr.war and build everything up from there?

Eric

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> +1
>
> Should be easy enough to conjure up the Ant magic.
>
> On Jun 10, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> Thanks for bringing this up Patrick... clearly it would be nice to
>> avoid (or mandate) 100MB downloads!
>>
>> -Yonik
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM, patrick o'leary <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Just using the apache-solr example directory, it seems to have
>>> gotten a bit
>>> big
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> $ du -sh *
>>> 13M     apache-solr-1.3.0
>>> 92M     apache-solr-1.4.0
>>>
>>> The biggest space user being example-DIH
>>>
>>> apache-solr-1.4.0/example
>>> $ du -sh *
>>> 4.0K    README.txt
>>> 5.5M    clustering
>>> 80K     etc
>>> *32M     example-DIH*
>>> 42K     exampleAnalysis
>>> 168K    exampledocs
>>> 13M     lib
>>> 52K     logs
>>> 118K    multicore
>>> *31M     solr*
>>> 20K     start.jar
>>> 12M     webapps
>>> 12K     work
>>>
>>> solr/lib is now 30mb
>>> apache-solr-1.4.0/example/solr/lib
>>> $ ls -lhS
>>> total 30M
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None  14M Jun 10 17:08 ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 4.3M Jun 10 17:08 icu4j-3.8.jar
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 3.2M Jun 10 17:08 pdfbox-0.7.3.jar
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 2.6M Jun 10 17:08 xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.5M Jun 10 17:08 poi-3.5-beta5.jar
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.2M Jun 10 17:08 xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
>>> -rwx------ 1 pjaol None 1.1M Jun 10 17:08 bcprov-jdk14-132.jar
>>>
>>> as opposed to 0 for 1.3.0
>>>
>>> This pushes solr to over a 100mb download for features that I'm
>>> sure can be
>>> packaged up separately as they look seldom used.
>>> It would make sense if there's going to be a batteries included
>>> version to
>>> also have a solr-lite version.

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>
> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids)
> using Solr/Lucene:

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Matthew Runo
I'd be willing to guess that the vast majority of users start off with
the example app and customize from there to meet their needs.

Thanks for your time!

Matthew Runo
Software Engineer, Zappos.com
[hidden email] - 702-943-7833

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Eric Pugh wrote:

> Has anyone really complained about the size of Solr?  One of the
> things I like about Solr is how simple it is to get things up and
> running, and how accesible the example directory makes everything.
> When I first played with DIH and Cell, everything was there.  I
> didn't have to chase down .jar's from multiple places.  Maybe if it
> was as simple as "ant build-example-cell" and "ant build-example-
> dih" then there might not be a barrier to entry for new users.
>
> I'd be curious to hear what percentage of folks deploy solr based on
> the example app, and how many just start out with the most stripped
> down solr.war and build everything up from there?
>
> Eric
>

> On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Should be easy enough to conjure up the Ant magic.
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for bringing this up Patrick... clearly it would be nice to
>>> avoid (or mandate) 100MB downloads!
>>>
>>> -Yonik
>>> http://www.lucidimagination.com

>> --------------------------
>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>
>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids)
>> using Solr/Lucene:
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

> Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
> Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्-2
+1 for solr lite

A lot of users are fine without those example stuff (dih , cell)

one option is to have two different distributions. solr.zip and a solr-min.zip

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Matthew Runo<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be willing to guess that the vast majority of users start off with the
> example app and customize from there to meet their needs.
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Matthew Runo
> Software Engineer, Zappos.com
> [hidden email] - 702-943-7833
>
> On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Eric Pugh wrote:
>
>> Has anyone really complained about the size of Solr?  One of the things I
>> like about Solr is how simple it is to get things up and running, and how
>> accesible the example directory makes everything.  When I first played with
>> DIH and Cell, everything was there.  I didn't have to chase down .jar's from
>> multiple places.  Maybe if it was as simple as "ant build-example-cell" and
>> "ant build-example-dih" then there might not be a barrier to entry for new
>> users.
>>
>> I'd be curious to hear what percentage of folks deploy solr based on the
>> example app, and how many just start out with the most stripped down
>> solr.war and build everything up from there?
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Should be easy enough to conjure up the Ant magic.

>>> --------------------------
>>> Grant Ingersoll
>>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>>
>>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using
>>> Solr/Lucene:
>>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

>> Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 |
>> http://www.opensourceconnections.com
>> Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Ian Holsman (Lists)
Is bandwidth or disk space really an issue for people today ?

you should be focusing on decreasing the size and speed of indexing
stuff not the code-base. It's not like you guys have unlimited time to
spend on this project.

ps. if you don't have the examples in there, then people won't know that
feature exists.

and yes. i regularly copy the example schema to create a new index. I
know it's bad practice, and not the most efficient schema, but it
usually has the cool features enabled in it ;-)

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Ian Holsman<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is bandwidth or disk space really an issue for people today ?
>
> you should be focusing on decreasing the size and speed of indexing stuff
> not the code-base. It's not like you guys have unlimited time to spend on
> this project.

This does not have to be a code change . It just just has to be a new
build target  (even that is code, but...)

downloading 100MB is not very pleasant if you keep downloading
nightlies every now and then.

> ps. if you don't have the examples in there, then people won't know that
> feature exists.
>
> and yes. i regularly copy the example schema to create a new index. I know
> it's bad practice, and not the most efficient schema, but it usually has the
> cool features enabled in it ;-)
>
> Noble Paul ??????? ?????? wrote:
>>
>> +1 for solr lite
>>
>> A lot of users are fine without those example stuff (dih , cell)
>>
>> one option is to have two different distributions. solr.zip and a
>> solr-min.zip
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Matthew Runo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I'd be willing to guess that the vast majority of users start off with
>>> the
>>> example app and customize from there to meet their needs.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time!
>>>
>>> Matthew Runo
>>> Software Engineer, Zappos.com
>>> [hidden email] - 702-943-7833

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

pjaol
Those examples and features should still exist but in a batteries included
version
The lite version is just for those who want the simple basic search feature.

More than 70% of solr these days is indexing strategy or client libraries,
rather than search.
These are important, but are now beginning to clutter things up for
deployment.
It would be good to offer a lite version for those that are just upgrading,
and a simple target
to build a lite-example for those hacking away on the code or distributing a
example version.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Ian Holsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is bandwidth or disk space really an issue for people today ?
>
> you should be focusing on decreasing the size and speed of indexing stuff
> not the code-base. It's not like you guys have unlimited time to spend on
> this project.
>
> ps. if you don't have the examples in there, then people won't know that
> feature exists.
>
> and yes. i regularly copy the example schema to create a new index. I know
> it's bad practice, and not the most efficient schema, but it usually has the
> cool features enabled in it ;-)
>

> Noble Paul ??????? ?????? wrote:
>
>> +1 for solr lite
>>
>> A lot of users are fine without those example stuff (dih , cell)
>>
>> one option is to have two different distributions. solr.zip and a
>> solr-min.zip
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Matthew Runo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I'd be willing to guess that the vast majority of users start off with
>>> the
>>> example app and customize from there to meet their needs.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time!
>>>
>>> Matthew Runo
>>> Software Engineer, Zappos.com
>>> [hidden email] - 702-943-7833

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Jan Høydahl
Instead of multiple releases, how about one minimal release, and a
"package" system?

An installer will be needed for this - could be as simple as a java
program reading an XML file with package names and URLs, or as
advanced as a full OSGI implementation as in Eclipse, or JSR277.

A side-effect of this is that we could use the same installer
mechonism to distribute 3rd party components, analyzers, dictionaries
and more. After all, an enterprise search platform is complex enough
to call for this at some point in time.. And version dependency
control comes for free as well :)

--
Jan Høydahl
Gründer & senior architect

On 15. juni. 2009, at 17.12, patrick o'leary wrote:

> Those examples and features should still exist but in a batteries
> included
> version
> The lite version is just for those who want the simple basic search
> feature.
>
> More than 70% of solr these days is indexing strategy or client
> libraries,
> rather than search.
> These are important, but are now beginning to clutter things up for
> deployment.
> It would be good to offer a lite version for those that are just
> upgrading,
> and a simple target
> to build a lite-example for those hacking away on the code or
> distributing a
> example version.
>

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Ian Holsman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Is bandwidth or disk space really an issue for people today ?
>>
>> you should be focusing on decreasing the size and speed of indexing
>> stuff
>> not the code-base. It's not like you guys have unlimited time to
>> spend on
>> this project.
>>
>> ps. if you don't have the examples in there, then people won't know
>> that
>> feature exists.
>>
>> and yes. i regularly copy the example schema to create a new index.
>> I know
>> it's bad practice, and not the most efficient schema, but it
>> usually has the
>> cool features enabled in it ;-)
>>

>> Noble Paul ??????? ?????? wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for solr lite
>>>
>>> A lot of users are fine without those example stuff (dih , cell)
>>>
>>> one option is to have two different distributions. solr.zip and a
>>> solr-min.zip

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्-2
I am opening a JIRA issue to track this

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Jan Høydahl<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Instead of multiple releases, how about one minimal release, and a "package"
> system?
>
> An installer will be needed for this - could be as simple as a java program
> reading an XML file with package names and URLs, or as advanced as a full
> OSGI implementation as in Eclipse, or JSR277.
>
> A side-effect of this is that we could use the same installer mechonism to
> distribute 3rd party components, analyzers, dictionaries and more. After
> all, an enterprise search platform is complex enough to call for this at
> some point in time.. And version dependency control comes for free as well
> :)
>
> --
> Jan Høydahl
> Gründer & senior architect
> Cominvent AS, Stabekk, Norway
> www.cominvent.com
>
> On 15. juni. 2009, at 17.12, patrick o'leary wrote:
>
>> Those examples and features should still exist but in a batteries included
>> version
>> The lite version is just for those who want the simple basic search
>> feature.
>>
>> More than 70% of solr these days is indexing strategy or client libraries,
>> rather than search.
>> These are important, but are now beginning to clutter things up for
>> deployment.
>> It would be good to offer a lite version for those that are just
>> upgrading,
>> and a simple target
>> to build a lite-example for those hacking away on the code or distributing
>> example version.
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Ian Holsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is bandwidth or disk space really an issue for people today ?
>>>
>>> you should be focusing on decreasing the size and speed of indexing stuff
>>> not the code-base. It's not like you guys have unlimited time to spend on
>>> this project.
>>>
>>> ps. if you don't have the examples in there, then people won't know that
>>> feature exists.
>>>
>>> and yes. i regularly copy the example schema to create a new index. I
>>> know
>>> it's bad practice, and not the most efficient schema, but it usually has
>>> the
>>> cool features enabled in it ;-)

Re: solr 1.4 lite ?

hossman

: >> More than 70% of solr these days is indexing strategy or client libraries,
: >> rather than search.
: >> These are important, but are now beginning to clutter things up for
: >> deployment.

Just because stuff is included in a release, (even a binary
release) doesn't mean people need to "deploy" it.  We release code -- and
as convinience we release compiled jars, generated documentation, and
sample configs -- but we don't produce deployable .rpm, .deb, .dmg, or
windows installer files that make assumptions about where you want things
installed or how much of solr you want installed.

Other people are free to package Solr up in those forms, and those people
can decide to break up the official release into whatever forms they want,
but trying to do that as part of our release process can be tedious to
deal with, and risks frustrating users who think solr is missing features
because they don't realize they only have the "lite" install and not the
"full" install.

FWIW: I use to think the idea of a slimmed down download was a good idea
way, way, way back but Doug convinced me that it was better to have
everything available out of the box so people get a good impression of all
the features right way.

Keeping the "core" solr application and client libraries small so people
can use them in resource limited enviornments is definitely a good idea,
but that's what plugins and good library abstractions are for -- it
doens't really need to impact the size of the download.

: >> It would be good to offer a lite version for those that are just
: >> upgrading,

But how do you know what they want to Upgrade?

If they are using Solr 1.3 with the SolrJ and the DIH plugin then when
they upgrade to Solr1.4 they need to upgrade SolrJ and DIH as well.  We
can't provide (useful) slimmed down tarballs for "upgrading" unless you
make one for every possible permutation of plugins and client libraries
people might have.

: >> and a simple target
: >> to build a lite-example for those hacking away on the code or distributing
: >> a
: >> example version.

In theory that's what "ant example" is for ... but at some point it
started depending on "example-contrib" for no obvious reason. (if anything
it seems like it should be the other way arround)

-Hoss