solr and NFS in distributed deployment, real time indexing and real time searching

solr and NFS in distributed deployment, real time indexing and real time searching

Kasi Sankaralingam
Has anyone done the above successfully without pulling hairs (stale NFS handle problem being one of them)
I have a bunch of search server and a couple of index servers sharing a NFS file directory, and the
fun begins J

thanks

Re: solr and NFS in distributed deployment, real time indexing and real time searching

Erick Erickson
You might try searching the Lucene users list for NFS. I know there has
been frequent discussion of locking issues etc. But since I'm not
using an NFS mount, I just glossed over them.

Also, my recollection is that many (most? all?) of the underlying issues
have been dealt with with new versions of Lucene, but again I didn't track
that too closely.

Unless my memory fails completely, though, I *am* pretty sure that
any remote storage will incur a performance hit over local storage.....

Best
Erick

On Dec 20, 2007 6:33 PM, Kasi Sankaralingam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone done the above successfully without pulling hairs (stale NFS
> handle problem being one of them)
> I have a bunch of search server and a couple of index servers sharing a
> NFS file directory, and the
> fun begins J
>
> thanks

Re: solr and NFS in distributed deployment, real time indexing and real time searching

Ryan McKinley
if you can avoid NFS, that is much better.  The solr distribution
scripts should help with this.

I think recent lucene changes have made it possible, but it will still
be slower...