solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Steve Conover
The solution involves slf4j to log4j to syslog (at least, for solr),
but I'm having some trouble stringing all the parts together.  If
anyone is doing this, would you mind posting how you use slf4j-log4j
jar, what your log4j.properties looks like, what your java system
properties settings are, and anything else you think is relevant?

Much appreciated

-Steve

Re: solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Steve Conover
Does no one send solr logging to syslog?

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Steve Conover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The solution involves slf4j to log4j to syslog (at least, for solr),
> but I'm having some trouble stringing all the parts together.  If
> anyone is doing this, would you mind posting how you use slf4j-log4j
> jar, what your log4j.properties looks like, what your java system
> properties settings are, and anything else you think is relevant?
>
> Much appreciated
>
> -Steve

Re: solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Steve Conover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does no one send solr logging to syslog?
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Steve Conover <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The solution involves slf4j to log4j to syslog (at least, for solr),
> > but I'm having some trouble stringing all the parts together.  If
> > anyone is doing this, would you mind posting how you use slf4j-log4j
> > jar, what your log4j.properties looks like, what your java system
> > properties settings are, and anything else you think is relevant?

I guess you may get better help if you ask this on slf4j or the log4j
mailing lists.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Turning down logging for SOLR running on Weblogic

sd189d
Hi
 We recently started a SOLR instance running under Weblogic and noticed
that there are a lot of DEBUG messages being output, that we did not
notice before when we used tomcat.
Where can we turn this logging level down ?

Thanks
Shantanu
AT&T eCommerce Web Hosting - Release Management
Office: (425)288-6081
email: [hidden email]

Re: Turning down logging for SOLR running on Weblogic

Mark Miller-3
DEO, SHANTANU S (ATTCINW) wrote:

> Hi
>  We recently started a SOLR instance running under Weblogic and noticed
> that there are a lot of DEBUG messages being output, that we did not
> notice before when we used tomcat.
> Where can we turn this logging level down ?
>
> Thanks
> Shantanu
> AT&T eCommerce Web Hosting - Release Management
> Office: (425)288-6081
> email: [hidden email]

If you are using Solr 1.4 you can use different logging frameworks - by
default its java util logging - so you just use a standard java util
logging to config to set your logging levels:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging

I believe it uses a default config in the JRE folder if you don't set
your own config (with a system property on starting your container) - so
perhaps that got set to debug? It normally defaults to info.

- Mark

Re: solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Not many people do that, judging from http://www.google.com/search?&q=+solr%20+syslogd .

But I think this is really not a Solr-specific question.  Isn't the question really "how do I configure log4j to log to syslogd?".  Oh, and then "how do I configure slf4j to use log4j?"

The answer to the first one is "by using SyslogAppender" (google says so)
The answer to the second one might be on http://fernandoribeiro.eti.br/2006/05/24/how-to-use-slf4j-with-log4j/

Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR

> Does no one send solr logging to syslog?
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Steve Conover wrote:
> > The solution involves slf4j to log4j to syslog (at least, for solr),
> > but I'm having some trouble stringing all the parts together.  If
> > anyone is doing this, would you mind posting how you use slf4j-log4j
> > jar, what your log4j.properties looks like, what your java system
> > properties settings are, and anything else you think is relevant?
> >
> > Much appreciated
> >
> > -Steve

Re: solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Marc Sturlese
With 1.4

-Add log4j jars to Solr

-Configure de SyslogAppender with something like:
log4j.appender.solrLog=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.solrLog.Facility=LOCAL0
log4j.appender.solrLog.SyslogHost=127.0.0.1
log4j.appender.solrLog.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.solrLog.layout.ConversionPattern=solr: %-4r [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n

-Install syslog-ng and let syslog accept udp packets. To do that uncomment in syslog-ng.conf the line
 udp();
in
# all known message sources
source s_all {