solr locked itself out

vanderkerkof
Hello everyone.

I've been reading some posts on this forum and I thought it best to start my own post as our situation is different from evveryone elses, isn't it always :-)

We've got a django powered website that has solr as it's search engine.

We're using the example solr application and starting the java at boot time with

java -jar start.jar in the example directory

We've had no problem at all until this morning when I started getting an error saying that solr was locked.

I checked the /tmp directory and in there was a file called lucene-75248553b96c7f175a8217320c9b8471-write.lock

It's not a very busy website at all and doesn't have alot of data in it, can someone get me started on how to make sure this doesn't happen again?

some more information

ulimit is unlimited and cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max 11769

in the /tmp directory are 18 directories all called Jetty_8983__solr and 17 of them have numbers at the end of the directory name.

Sorry I'm such a newbie at this, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've just found an error file in the example directory that was made at roughly the same time that solr got locked, uploading it now.hs_err_pid1985.log

Re: solr locked itself out

vanderkerkof
I found another post that suggested editing the unlockonstartup value in solrconfig.xml.

Is that a wise idea?

I'm attaching my .xml config file as well as it might shed some light on the matter

solrconfig.xml

Re: solr locked itself out

Ryan McKinley
vanderkerkoff wrote:
> I found another post that suggested editing the unlockonstartup value in
> solrconfig.xml.
>
> Is that a wise idea?

If you only have a single solr instance at at time, it should be totally
fine.

Re: solr locked itself out

Adrian Sutton Symphonious
> ulimit is unlimited and cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max 11769

I just went through the same kind of mistake - ulimit doesn't report
what you think it does, what you should check is ulimit -n (the -n
isn't just the option to set the value). If you're using bash as your
shell that will almost certainly by 1024 which I've found isn't
enough to search and write at the same time.  The commit winds up
throwing an exception and the lock file(s) get left around causing
further problems.

The first thing I'd try is upping the ulimit -n to 20000 and see if
that resolves the issue, it did for me.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net

unlockOnStartup does not work in embedded solr?

Alexey Shakov
Hi *,

I use solr as embedded solution.
I have set unlockOnStartup to "true" in my solrconfig.xml
But it seems,  that this option is ignored by embedded solr.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alexey