solr render biased search result?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

solr render biased search result?

cyang2010
Hi,

I am asked that whether solr renders biased search result?  For example, for this search (query all movie title by this Comedy genre),  for user who indicates a preference to 1950's movies, solr renders the 1950's movies with higher score (top in the list)?    Or if user is a kid, then the result will render G/PG rated movie top in the list, and render all the R rated movie bottom in the list?

I know that solr can boost score based on match on a particular field.  But it can't favor some value over other value in the same field.  is that right?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr render biased search result

Paul Libbrecht-4
Cyang,

why can't you, for a kid, add a boosting query

genre:kid^2.0

aside of the rest?
That would double the score of a match if the users are kids.
But note that you'd better calibrate the coefficient with some test battery.
This is part of the fine art, I think.

paul


Le 9 févr. 2011 à 20:44, cyang2010 a écrit :

>
> Hi,
>
> I am asked that whether solr renders biased search result?  For example, for
> this search (query all movie title by this Comedy genre),  for user who
> indicates a preference to 1950's movies, solr renders the 1950's movies with
> higher score (top in the list)?    Or if user is a kid, then the result will
> render G/PG rated movie top in the list, and render all the R rated movie
> bottom in the list?
>
> I know that solr can boost score based on match on a particular field.  But
> it can't favor some value over other value in the same field.  is that
> right?
> --
> View this message in context: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/solr-render-biased-search-result-tp2461155p2461155.html
> Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr render biased search result

cyang2010
That makes sense.  It is a little bit indirect.  You have to translate that user preference/profile into a search field value and then dictate search result boosting the doc with that preference value.  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr render biased search result

Erick Erickson
What *could* solr do for you? You've outlined a domain-specific requirement,
I'm not sure how a general-purpose search engine would incorporate
that functionality....

Best
Erick

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM, cyang2010 <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> That makes sense.  It is a little bit indirect.  You have to translate that
> user preference/profile into a search field value and then dictate search
> result boosting the doc with that preference value.
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/solr-render-biased-search-result-tp2461155p2461668.html
> Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr render biased search result

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
In reply to this post by cyang2010
You can do a lot with function queries.
Only you know what the domain specific requirements are, so you should write application layer code to modify the Solr query based on the user profile to the one searching.

Example for the 1950 movie lover you could do:

q=goo bar&defType=dismax&bf=map(movieyear,1950,1959,1,0)^1000.0

Or you could use a recip(abs(sub(movieyear,1955)),10,100,10)^10.0 to give more boost to the move the closer to 1955 it is.

However, sometimes it is easier to pre-calculate some field values in the index and filter/boost on those.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 9. feb. 2011, at 20.44, cyang2010 wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I am asked that whether solr renders biased search result?  For example, for
> this search (query all movie title by this Comedy genre),  for user who
> indicates a preference to 1950's movies, solr renders the 1950's movies with
> higher score (top in the list)?    Or if user is a kid, then the result will
> render G/PG rated movie top in the list, and render all the R rated movie
> bottom in the list?
>
> I know that solr can boost score based on match on a particular field.  But
> it can't favor some value over other value in the same field.  is that
> right?
> --
> View this message in context: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/solr-render-biased-search-result-tp2461155p2461155.html
> Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr render biased search result

Billnbell
In reply to this post by cyang2010
I am not sure I understand your question.

But you can boost the result based on one value over another value.

Look at bf

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRelevancyFAQ#How_can_I_change_the_score_of_a_document_based_on_the_.2Avalue.2A_of_a_field_.28say.2C_.22popularity.22.29


On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM, cyang2010 <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I am asked that whether solr renders biased search result?  For example, for
> this search (query all movie title by this Comedy genre),  for user who
> indicates a preference to 1950's movies, solr renders the 1950's movies with
> higher score (top in the list)?    Or if user is a kid, then the result will
> render G/PG rated movie top in the list, and render all the R rated movie
> bottom in the list?
>
> I know that solr can boost score based on match on a particular field.  But
> it can't favor some value over other value in the same field.  is that
> right?
> --
> View this message in context: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/solr-render-biased-search-result-tp2461155p2461155.html
> Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>