solr4lib

Erik Hatcher
Y'all might be interested in this:

        <http://www.code4lib.org/node/165>

The package I've made available consists of a basic Solr introduction
with steps to follow to ensure things are working at each stage, from
launching Solr to indexing several sample data sets.  And the
teacher's pets will be the ones that make it through to firing up
Solr flare and *seeing* their data in an elegant faceted browser.

Feedback on what doesn't work (and success if it all *just works*) is
welcome.

        Erik

Solr Flare for non-Ruby users.

maustin
I haven't looked at Solr Flare at all.. but was wondering if it is possible
to use some of the work done in solr flare with non-Ruby applications? For
example, could the tagging and faceting be extracted more so it's not Ruby
specific and handled in the solr java request handler?

Thanks

> The package I've made available consists of a basic Solr introduction
> with steps to follow to ensure things are working at each stage, from
> launching Solr to indexing several sample data sets.  And the  teacher's
> pets will be the ones that make it through to firing up  Solr flare and
> *seeing* their data in an elegant faceted browser.
>
> Feedback on what doesn't work (and success if it all *just works*) is
> welcome.
>
> Erik

Re: Solr Flare for non-Ruby users.

Erik Hatcher

On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Gmail Account wrote:

> I haven't looked at Solr Flare at all.. but was wondering if it is
> possible to use some of the work done in solr flare with non-Ruby
> applications? For example, could the tagging and faceting be
> extracted more so it's not Ruby specific and handled in the solr
> java request handler?

Well, at this point there is no tagging in Flare, so we can address
that when the time comes - certainly it will leverage Solr for the
heavy lifting.  As for faceting, I'm not sure what you mean... Solr
supports faceting just fine, and Flare displays paints a pretty
picture around it.  Can you propose a more concrete example of where
you think something Flare does should be pushed back into Solr?   I'm
all for that, and in fact we will certainly see both Solr and Flare
evolve to work more cooperatively.

        Erik

Re: Solr Flare for non-Ruby users.

maustin
Yes, faceting I agree.

I guess I was more interested in the tagging part more than anything. I was
thinking that Collex was using tagging from Flare and I wanted to see how it
was being done or use it. I'm about to try implementing tagging with my
non-Ruby (.NET) application that uses Solr.

On Feb 24, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Gmail Account wrote:
> I guess I was more interested in the tagging part more than
> anything. I was thinking that Collex was using tagging from Flare
> and I wanted to see how it was being done or use it. I'm about to
> try implementing tagging with my non-Ruby (.NET) application that
> uses Solr.

As for tagging, it's not as simple as just adding tags to Solr.  A
tag (generally) belongs to a user, so where does the user name come
from?  Solr can't be responsible for that, though it would clearly
become a field that you'd want in Solr.

As for Collex and Flare.  Flare is a distillation of the _ideas_ in
Collex, but currently the two share nothing, not even solr-ruby.  The
plan is to migrate pieces of Collex to Flare as we can.

        Erik