store index on web server directory

othman
Hi all,
I'm developing a search tool for a  web site using lucene.
One issue i need you to clarify is where we should store the generated lucene indexes ?
 lucene provides a file system storage method FSDirectory.so we need to specify a path like (/usr/lucene on linux) or (c:/lucene on windows).
I’m wondering how we can store the indexes in remote server directory ?
should we specify a url path for index directory ? are URLs valid paths to create File objects directories ? .

what you think about best way to store indexes to be searched later from a web page on a given server ?

thanks.

RE: store index on web server directory

Fang_Li
Can you map the remote file system in window or mount in Linux? Lucene rely on the OS level file system access.
Has anyone try to store the index file in a NAS/SAN? How is the performance?

Regards,
Li

Re: store index on web server directory

Gaurav Tuli

I think index folder can be created  anywhere in private resource in a given
web app.

When we want to interact with a remote index there should be an interface
and its

implementation to interact with this remote index.

If we want to interact wit  linux through window we use tools like
putty.Programatically

we should be able to use some package.We can also make use of JNI may be a
solution

lies over there.