string field max size

Vincenzo D'Amore
Hi all,

sorry for the silly question, I need to store in Solr a string field larger
than 32k (index="false").

Given that storing field larger than 32k rises an exception:
"DocValuesField "filterQuery" is too large, must be <= 32766", I thought to
use predefined type text_ws.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Vincenzo

Vincenzo D'Amore

Re: string field max size

Erick Erickson
Use a text field with stored=true and indexed=false? That'll allow you to
return it...

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 07:04 Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry for the silly question, I need to store in Solr a string field larger
> than 32k (index="false").
>
> Given that storing field larger than 32k rises an exception:
> "DocValuesField "filterQuery" is too large, must be <= 32766", I thought to
> use predefined type text_ws.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,
> Vincenzo

> Vincenzo D'Amore

Re: string field max size

Jitendra soni
I agree, stored=true and indexed =false should resolve this size issue.

Thanks
Jitendra

Re: string field max size

Vincenzo D'Amore
Thanks Erick for the prompt answer.
What I do not understand is what happens to the Analyzers, Tokenizers, and
Filters in the indexing chain.
Are they executed or not? Well, answering to my own question I think no,
but so what's the difference between string and text when they are not
indexed?
Just the way how are they stored and retrieved?

Vincenzo D'Amore

Re: string field max size

Erick Erickson
bq. What I do not understand is what happens to the Analyzers, Tokenizers, and
Filters in the indexing chain

They are irrelevant. The analysis chain is only executed when indexed=true.

Best,
Erick

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 9:03 AM, Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What I do not understand is what happens to the Analyzers, Tokenizers, and
> Filters in the indexing chain

Re: string field max size

Vincenzo D'Amore
Thanks Erick for this last confirmation. I've at the end I've used the
standard "text_ws":

    <fieldType name="text_ws" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100">
      <analyzer>
      </analyzer>
    </fieldType>

And the field

<field name="balgal" type="text_ws" indexed="false" stored="true" />