test release artifacts

Yonik Seeley-2
I've gone through the process of making release artifacts and put them here:
http://people.apache.org/~yonik/solr/test_release/

This is *not* a release candidate... this is just for people to review
to see what problems they can see now.

A couple of additional changes would have been in a real release, including
- a note of the version number in CHANGES.txt, and perhaps some
release-notes type of stuff in there as well
- a bump of version number in build.xml
- tags, and all that jazz

I think we should try to make a real release candidate by the end of next week.

Re: test release artifacts

Mike Klaas
> I've gone through the process of making release artifacts and put them here:
> http://people.apache.org/~yonik/solr/test_release/
>
> This is *not* a release candidate... this is just for people to review
> to see what problems they can see now.

Is there anything in particular you would like reviewed?  I don't know
much about apache release policies or licenses so I'm not sure how to
help out here.

-MIke

Re: test release artifacts

Yonik Seeley-2
On 12/7/06, Mike Klaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/7/06, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've gone through the process of making release artifacts and put them here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~yonik/solr/test_release/
> >
> > This is *not* a release candidate... this is just for people to review
> > to see what problems they can see now.
>
> Is there anything in particular you would like reviewed?  I don't know
> much about apache release policies or licenses so I'm not sure how to
> help out here.

Could you go through the process of trying to verify the signatures?
That's something that might turn out different than if I did it myself
(since it's my keys).

Re: test release artifacts

Bertrand Delacretaz

> ...Could you go through the process of trying to verify the signatures?...

Signatures for both the .tgz and .zip files pass, after importing your
key from pgp.mit.edu into my gpg keystore.

I have added http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/solr/trunk/KEYS.txt
to make it easier for people to get our keys, it would be good to add
yours there.

-Bertrand

Example:  gpg --verify apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating.tgz.asc
apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating.tgz
gpg: Signature made Fri Dec  8 04:22:19 2006 CET using DSA key ID 0AFCEE7C
gpg: Good signature from "Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: E404 B4CF 10D8 F153 04F7  651C B83E A82A 0AFC EE7C

Re: test release artifacts

Chris Hostetter-3

: I have added http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/solr/trunk/KEYS.txt
: to make it easier for people to get our keys, it would be good to add
: yours there.

is that really how most apache projects manage keys? .. import a big
existing list from some other project and then gradually grow it?

I would have assumed there was some central list of keys for Apache commiters.

Re: test release artifacts

Bertrand Delacretaz

> ...is that really how most apache projects manage keys? .. import a big
> existing list from some other project and then gradually grow it?

Most I don't know, Cocoon, Forrest and others do it.

And the current KEYS.txt is just *my* key (which has some signatures ;-)

> ...I would have assumed there was some central list of keys for Apache commiters...

Dunno if there's one, usually I'd look for keys at pgp.mit.edu or
similar servers.

The KEYS.txt file is just a convenience for people to easily find keys
of the people who sign releases, not really a "key management tool".

My key is probably not needed there as I'm not going to sign releases,
so feel free to remove it, I added it as an example. We could also
just have the URLs of people's keys in there.

-Bertrand

Re: test release artifacts

Chris Hostetter-3

: And the current KEYS.txt is just *my* key (which has some signatures ;-)

ah ... sorry, while hte theory behind PKE mkes sense to me, the
implimentation details are soemthing i've never understood.

: > ...I would have assumed there was some central list of keys for Apache commiters...
:
: Dunno if there's one, usually I'd look for keys at pgp.mit.edu or
: similar servers.

poking arround http://www.apache.org/dist/ i see that there are KEYS files
*everywhere*

Re: test release artifacts

Yonik Seeley-2
> I think we should try to make a real release candidate by the end of next week.

I also think we should start trying to make regular releases, or at
least release more often.
So don't worry if your favorite feature or cleanup isn't in this
release, it can go in the next.
One if the biggest reasons for this release is that we need to show we
can do releases to get out of the incubator.

So if you have a favorite feature/fix you would like to be in this
release, let's try to get it committed in the next few days.

Some of the things I think could go in:

  -- the more-like-this output looked fine to me (but it was my first
exposure to that lucene feature) did anyone else get a chance to
review it?

  -- if we get in the backward-compatible via version number thing

  -- will this be ready in a few days?

Re: test release artifacts

Chris Hostetter-3

: Some of the things I think could go in:
: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-79
        ... i don't think that's quite ready yet.
: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-78
        ...i'll try to have that ready tomorow
: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-70
        ...done

: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-69
:   -- the more-like-this output looked fine to me (but it was my first
: exposure to that lucene feature) did anyone else get a chance to
: review it?

I haven't reviewed it, personally i don't think we should add new bells
and whistles to either of the request handlers just before our first big
release without letting them "soak" a bit.

: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-59
        ...i think yonik said he's working on the backwards compatibility.

: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-58
        ...done, but has a bug that should be fixed.

Re: test release artifacts

Yonik Seeley-2
Sounds like a plan... issues 58,59,78 left.

> : Some of the things I think could go in:
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-79
>         ... i don't think that's quite ready yet.
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-78
>         ...i'll try to have that ready tomorow
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-70
>         ...done
>
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-69
> :   -- the more-like-this output looked fine to me (but it was my first
> : exposure to that lucene feature) did anyone else get a chance to
> : review it?
>
> I haven't reviewed it, personally i don't think we should add new bells
> and whistles to either of the request handlers just before our first big
> release without letting them "soak" a bit.
>
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-59
>         ...i think yonik said he's working on the backwards compatibility.
>
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-58
>         ...done, but has a bug that should be fixed.

Re: test release artifacts

Yonik Seeley-2
Some incubator people have been recommending release notes.
It made me think about the discussion we had about calling out non
back compatible stuff in CHANGES.txt, and makes me think that should
be the release notes.
Put a higher level section at the top, with potentially a little more
general info and how to migrade, and all the individual changes below.
 Some projects do it like this.

So, a proposed layout for our releases:

solr/KEYS.txt
solr/1.1/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating.[zip,tgz,etc]
solr/1.1/CHANGES.txt

Then the website would be able to link directly to the CHANGES.txt as
well as the archives.

Re: test release artifacts

Bertrand Delacretaz
> Sounds like a plan... issues 58,59,78 left.

59 is done now.
-Bertrand