thread leak control whitelisting

Michael Sokolov-4
Hi, I wonder if we have a mechanism to extend the list of system
threads recognized by randomizedtesting (see
https://github.com/randomizedtesting/randomizedtesting/blob/master/randomized-runner/src/main/java/com/carrotsearch/randomizedtesting/ThreadLeakControl.java#L281),
beyond editing the source code there.

We recently upgraded our (Corretto) JDK and it seems to have added
some leaky threads that we'd like to ignore when running tests.

-Mike

Re: thread leak control whitelisting

Michael Sokolov-4
Oh, I found ThreadLeakFilter annotation, and QuickPatchThreadsFilter -
I think I can use this, thanks!

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I wonder if we have a mechanism to extend the list of system
> threads recognized by randomizedtesting (see
> https://github.com/randomizedtesting/randomizedtesting/blob/master/randomized-runner/src/main/java/com/carrotsearch/randomizedtesting/ThreadLeakControl.java#L281),
> beyond editing the source code there.
>
> We recently upgraded our (Corretto) JDK and it seems to have added
> some leaky threads that we'd like to ignore when running tests.
>
> -Mike

Re: thread leak control whitelisting

Robert Muir
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, I found ThreadLeakFilter annotation, and QuickPatchThreadsFilter -
I think I can use this, thanks!

Can you open an issue or PR with the list of thread names so that tests work on this JDK out-of-box in the future?

Re: thread leak control whitelisting

Dawid Weiss-2
FYI; I noticed custom thread filters are used inconsistently
throughout the codebase (Solr). It'd be nice to clean it up too.

D.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:33 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, I found ThreadLeakFilter annotation, and QuickPatchThreadsFilter -
> I think I can use this, thanks!
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I wonder if we have a mechanism to extend the list of system
> > threads recognized by randomizedtesting (see
> > https://github.com/randomizedtesting/randomizedtesting/blob/master/randomized-runner/src/main/java/com/carrotsearch/randomizedtesting/ThreadLeakControl.java#L281),
> > beyond editing the source code there.
> >
> > We recently upgraded our (Corretto) JDK and it seems to have added
> > some leaky threads that we'd like to ignore when running tests.
> >
> > -Mike

Re: thread leak control whitelisting

Michael Sokolov-4
> Can you open an issue or PR with the list of thread names so that tests work on this JDK out-of-box in the future?

It's kind of messy since one of the dangling threads is very
general-purpose, namely java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.
I am pursuing w/Corretto here
https://github.com/corretto/corretto-11/issues/84 ; perhaps they can
provide access to shut down the "Janitor" in the crypto provider. But
I can also open an issue here

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:50 AM Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI; I noticed custom thread filters are used inconsistently
> throughout the codebase (Solr). It'd be nice to clean it up too.
>
> D.
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:33 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, I found ThreadLeakFilter annotation, and QuickPatchThreadsFilter -
> > I think I can use this, thanks!
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, I wonder if we have a mechanism to extend the list of system
> > > threads recognized by randomizedtesting (see
> > > https://github.com/randomizedtesting/randomizedtesting/blob/master/randomized-runner/src/main/java/com/carrotsearch/randomizedtesting/ThreadLeakControl.java#L281),
> > > beyond editing the source code there.
> > >
> > > We recently upgraded our (Corretto) JDK and it seems to have added
> > > some leaky threads that we'd like to ignore when running tests.
> > >
> > > -Mike

Re: thread leak control whitelisting

Dawid Weiss-2
This is very likely just a parallel stream on a default fork/join
executor. Not much you can do here (and not much to fix).

D.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:17 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Can you open an issue or PR with the list of thread names so that tests work on this JDK out-of-box in the future?
>
> It's kind of messy since one of the dangling threads is very
> general-purpose, namely java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.
> I am pursuing w/Corretto here
> https://github.com/corretto/corretto-11/issues/84 ; perhaps they can
> provide access to shut down the "Janitor" in the crypto provider. But
> I can also open an issue here
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:50 AM Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > FYI; I noticed custom thread filters are used inconsistently
> > throughout the codebase (Solr). It'd be nice to clean it up too.
> >
> > D.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:33 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh, I found ThreadLeakFilter annotation, and QuickPatchThreadsFilter -
> > > I think I can use this, thanks!

Re: thread leak control whitelisting

Robert Muir
if you want to startup crypto threads on my machine, at least name them 'minerd' like the other hackers do.