upgrade solr from 7.2 to 74

Sergio Herrero
Dear,

I am witing to you in order to be helped. I am trying to upgrade this solr software but It is impossible for me. I am doing it with this command:

sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-7.7.2.tgz -f

All seems to be nice but status show:

start shows:

I have checked logs and I have found these information:

root@ip-172-31-32-147:/var/solr/logs# cat solr-8983-console.log
[0.000s][error][logging] Initialization of output '/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log' using options 'filecount=9,filesize=20M' failed.
Invalid -Xlog option '-Xlog:gc*:file=/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log:time,uptime:filecount=9,filesize=20M'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

:/var/solr/logs# cat solr.log
2019-11-30 12:24:32.942 INFO  (ShutdownMonitor) [   ] o.e.j.s.h.ContextHandler Stopped o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@7bb6ab3a{/solr,null,UNAVAILABLE}{file:///opt/solr-7.4.0/server//solr-webapp/webapp}

-----------------------------------

Is the problem related with java version?

Thanks in advance!

Re: upgrade solr from 7.2 to 74

Erick Erickson
The mail server removes attachments as a general rule, so we can’t see your attached screenshots.

Can you copy/paste the actual text or put the images somewhere and provide a link?

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Sergio Herrero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear,
>
> I am witing to you in order to be helped. I am trying to upgrade this solr software but It is impossible for me. I am doing it with this command:
>
> sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-7.7.2.tgz -f
>
> All seems to be nice but status show:
>

> start shows:
>

> I have checked logs and I have found these information:
>
> root@ip-172-31-32-147:/var/solr/logs# cat solr-8983-console.log
> [0.000s][error][logging] Initialization of output '/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log' using options 'filecount=9,filesize=20M' failed.
> Invalid -Xlog option '-Xlog:gc*:file=/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log:time,uptime:filecount=9,filesize=20M'
> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

> :/var/solr/logs# cat solr.log
> 2019-11-30 12:24:32.942 INFO  (ShutdownMonitor) [   ] o.e.j.s.h.ContextHandler Stopped o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@7bb6ab3a{/solr,null,UNAVAILABLE}{file:///opt/solr-7.4.0/server//solr-webapp/webapp}
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> Is the problem related with java version?
>

> Thanks in advance!

Re: upgrade solr from 7.2 to 74

Sergio Herrero
Dear,

I am witing to you in order to be helped. I am trying to upgrade this solr
software but It is impossible for me. I am doing it with this command:

sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-7.7.2.tgz -f

All seems to be nice but status show:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zP1yGlTTkKs8R74pe-TUlhPWYko5BnM2

start shows:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bvwMjDdc2j9dqSo-JubvNzJP8Ie4Z0l6

I have checked logs and I have found these information:

root@ip-172-31-32-147:/var/solr/logs# cat solr-8983-console.log
[0.000s][error][logging] Initialization of output
'/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log' using options 'filecount=9,filesize=20M'
failed.
Invalid -Xlog option
'-Xlog:gc*:file=/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log:time,uptime:filecount=9,filesize=20M'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

:/var/solr/logs# cat solr.log
2019-11-30 12:24:32.942 INFO  (ShutdownMonitor) [   ]
o.e.j.s.h.ContextHandler Stopped o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@7bb6ab3a
{/solr,null,UNAVAILABLE}{file:///opt/solr-7.4.0/server//solr-webapp/webapp}

-----------------------------------

Is the problem related with java version?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RR6rZb6qDtBzZSSvpgldrzIq1M_L4Z2e

Thanks in advance!

El sáb., 30 nov. 2019 a las 17:39, Erick Erickson (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> The mail server removes attachments as a general rule, so we can’t see
> your attached screenshots.
>
> Can you copy/paste the actual text or put the images somewhere and provide
> a link?
>
> > On Nov 30, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Sergio Herrero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear,
> >
> > I am witing to you in order to be helped. I am trying to upgrade this
> solr software but It is impossible for me. I am doing it with this command:
> >
> > sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-7.7.2.tgz -f
> >
> > All seems to be nice but status show:
> >

> > start shows:
> >

> > I have checked logs and I have found these information:
> >
> > root@ip-172-31-32-147:/var/solr/logs# cat solr-8983-console.log
> > [0.000s][error][logging] Initialization of output
> '/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log' using options 'filecount=9,filesize=20M'
> failed.
> > Invalid -Xlog option
> '-Xlog:gc*:file=/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log:time,uptime:filecount=9,filesize=20M'
> > Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> > Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

> > :/var/solr/logs# cat solr.log
> > 2019-11-30 12:24:32.942 INFO  (ShutdownMonitor) [   ]
> o.e.j.s.h.ContextHandler Stopped o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@7bb6ab3a
> {/solr,null,UNAVAILABLE}{file:///opt/solr-7.4.0/server//solr-webapp/webapp}
> >
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > Is the problem related with java version?
> >

> > Thanks in advance!

Re: upgrade solr from 7.2 to 74

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/30/2019 9:48 AM, Sergio Herrero wrote:
> I am witing to you in order to be helped. I am trying to upgrade this solr
> software but It is impossible for me. I am doing it with this command:
>
> sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-7.7.2.tgz -f
>
> All seems to be nice but status show:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zP1yGlTTkKs8R74pe-TUlhPWYko5BnM2

See the response below.

I downloaded Solr 7.7.2, extracted it, and ran the installer, without
the -f option because the server I'm working on did not have the "solr"
service already installed.  That worked.  Then I ran the "solr status"
command from the installed bin directory, both as my regular user and as
the "solr" user, and it worked both times.

If you install Solr, it should be started properly as part of the
install.  You can do "/etc/init.d/solr restart" as root to restart it,
and most Linux distributions should also allow "service solr restart" as
root.  The init script also supports typical service actions like stop
and start.  You should not use the bin/solr script to start Solr.

> I have checked logs and I have found these information:
>
> root@ip-172-31-32-147:/var/solr/logs# cat solr-8983-console.log
> [0.000s][error][logging] Initialization of output
> '/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log' using options 'filecount=9,filesize=20M'
> failed.
> Invalid -Xlog option
> '-Xlog:gc*:file=/var/solr/logs/solr_gc.log:time,uptime:filecount=9,filesize=20M'
> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

With the options you gave to the installer, a user named "solr" will be
created and a service will be installed called "solr" that uses that new
user.  The permissions of the writable parts of the Solr install will be
set to the new user as well, so trying to run "bin/solr start" as any
user other than the one created during the install will fail, and
depending on how it's installed, that start command might even fail if
it's run as the new user.

The "invalid -Xlog option" in the log might be happening because you're
running Java 9.  If the asterisk I see in the option is actually there
and wasn't added for the email to make things bold, then that could be
the problem.  That should not be part of the GC logging options, and
won't be unless those options are overridden.

We recommend the latest version of Java 8 or the latest version of Java
11 right now.  Oracle is only providing support for interim versions
like 9, 10, 12, and 13 for six months after their first revision's
release date.  Support for 8 and 11 will be much longer.

My Java version:

elyograg@smeagol:~$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.4" 2019-07-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.4+11-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu218.04.3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.4+11-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu218.04.3,
mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks,
Shawn