using date-recency criteria within Lucene

using date-recency criteria within Lucene

Felix Litman
We want to be able to apply a date-score criteria  within Lucene so that more-recent documents score higher.

  We also want to be able to apply some boost factor to this date-field score.

  Right now we use Lucense to score the documents based on search citeria and then apply our own "recency-of-date+bost factor factor" formula.   We thus generate a combined score which we then use to display results that now incorporate the date criteria.

  But we prefer to do this completely within Lucene.   Is there a way to do this? What is the best way? Which functiojn, field would we use?

  Thank you,
  Felix