using dismax with additional query?

Bram de Jong
hello all,

I would like to combine the DisMaxRequestHandler for processing user
searches, but I would like the -aditionally- add more query
parameters.

For example, the user want to search inside all the documents tagged
with one particular tag (a tag he clicked).

So, I would like to define: regular_search_query=tag:sometag&q=user_input_here

Is this possible?

 - bram

--
http://www.freesound.org
http://www.smartelectronix.com
http://www.musicdsp.org

Re: using dismax with additional query?

climbingrose
Hi Bram,
You can use filter query (fq) to limit your results:

fq=tag:sometag&q=user_input_here

Have a look at dismax and standard query documentation on the wiki.

Cuong Hoang

Re: using dismax with additional query?

Bram de Jong
aw, of course... the standard query parameters can be used with
dismax... sorry for the silly question!

 - bram

--

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:59 AM, climbingrose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bram,
> You can use filter query (fq) to limit your results:
>
> fq=tag:sometag&q=user_input_here
>

> Have a look at dismax and standard query documentation on the wiki.
>

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Bram de Jong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> hello all,
>>
>> I would like to combine the DisMaxRequestHandler for processing user
>> searches, but I would like the -aditionally- add more query
>> parameters.
>>
>> For example, the user want to search inside all the documents tagged
>> with one particular tag (a tag he clicked).
>>
>> So, I would like to define:
>> regular_search_query=tag:sometag&q=user_input_here
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>>  - bram
>>
>> --
>> http://www.freesound.org
>> http://www.smartelectronix.com
>> http://www.musicdsp.org
>>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Cuong Hoang

SOLR Timeout

John E. McBride
Hello All,

Prior to SOLR 1.3 and nutch patch integration - what actually is  the effect of SOLR (non)-timeout?  Do the threads eventally die?  DOes a new request cause a new query thread to open, or is the system locked?

What causes a timeout- a complex query?

Is SOLR 1.2 open to DoS attacks by submitting complex queries?

Thanks,
John

Re: SOLR Timeout

Sean Timm
If you have a number of long queries running, your system can become CPU
bound resulting in low throughput and high response times.  There are
many ways you can construct a query that will cause it to take a long
time to process, but the SOLR-502 patch can only address the ones where
the work is being done in collect().

Here is a comment on SOLR-502 that hopefully helps answer your questions.

> The timeout is to protect the server side. The client side can be
> largely protected by setting a read timeout, but if the client aborts
> before the server responds, the server is just wasting resources
> processing a request that will never be used. The partial results is
> useful in a couple of scenarios, probably the most important is a
> large distributed complex where you would rather get whatever results
> you can from a slow shard rather than throw them away.
>
> As a real world example, the query "contact us about our site" on a
> 2.3MM document index (partial Dmoz crawl) takes several seconds to
> complete, while the mean response time is sub 50 ms. We've had cases
> where a bot walks the next page links (including expensive queries
> such as this). Also users are prone to repeatedly click the query
> button if they get impatient on a slow site. Without a server side
> timeout, this is a real issue.
>
> Rate limiting and limiting the number of next pages that can be
> fetched at the front end are also part of the solution to the above
> example.

-Sean