web ui improvement

Sami Siren-2
I have recently been working with refactoring the web gui to be a more
extendable and manageable by replacing the spaghetti jsp ui with and ui
layer done with struts and tiles. By doing so it will be much more easy
to provide for example a plugin(extension) that will just change the
layout of the search, provide new ui functionality (like  the "did you
mean" feature) in a form of plugin etc..

I know there are people who think that a plain xml interface is good
enough for all but I would like to give this new architecture a try.

As part of the required functionality of the 0.8 release discussion on
some other thread my opinion is to postbone any new ui functionality
(for example NUTCH-48) until the new architecture is in place
(if it is decided to be applied).

If people are interested to see this work in progress I will prepare
some sort of demo next week (still some work to do before it will reach
a form of a patch).

--
  Sami Siren

Re: web ui improvement

Doug Cutting
Sami Siren wrote:
> I know there are people who think that a plain xml interface is good
> enough for all but I would like to give this new architecture a try.

I think this would be a great addition.  The XML has a lot of uses, but
we should include a good native, extensible, skinnable search UI.  +1

> As part of the required functionality of the 0.8 release discussion on
> some other thread my opinion is to postbone any new ui functionality
> (for example NUTCH-48) until the new architecture is in place

I would not veto someone testing & committing NUTCH-48.  We should avoid
investing too much effort into this if it will soon be obsolete.  But if
a small effort will give folks "did you mean" support in the interim,
that's not a bad thing.  Of course, folks can always apply this patch
themselves...

Doug

Re: web ui improvement

Sami Siren-2

>> As part of the required functionality of the 0.8 release discussion
>> on some other thread my opinion is to postbone any new ui functionality
>> (for example NUTCH-48) until the new architecture is in place
>

> I would not veto someone testing & committing NUTCH-48.  We should
> avoid investing too much effort into this if it will soon be
> obsolete.  But if a small effort will give folks "did you mean"
> support in the interim, that's not a bad thing.  Of course, folks can
> always apply this patch themselves...

Agreed, perhaps I meant to say that I will not apply it ;)

--
 Sami Siren