what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

kawther khazri
Hi,
  I'd like to know, what distribution of linux that goes nutch, because I ried to install Nutch in fedora 5  and I found many difficulties.
  thanks.

---------------------------------
 Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

ken-32
Yup, I installed on FC5, but here is something that might help:
http://www.mybizguard.com/mediawiki/index.php/Nutch_Search_Engine

kawther khazri wrote:

>Hi,
>  I'd like to know, what distribution of linux that goes nutch, because I ried to install Nutch in fedora 5  and I found many difficulties.
>  thanks.
>

>---------------------------------
> Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

Florian Fricker
I run Nutch on Gentoo, works with no problems.

Regards

--
Florian Fricker                          [hidden email]
Wyona Inc.   -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya
http://www.wyona.com                       http://lenya.apache.org

Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

Dennis Kubes
We are running our clusters on FC5 with absolutely no problems.  I
actually had more problems on whitebox linux (redhat enterprise 4).
What kind of problems are you encountering?

Dennis

Florian Fricker wrote:

> I run Nutch on Gentoo, works with no problems.
>
> Regards
>
> Ken Gregoire wrote:
>> Yup, I installed on FC5, but here is something that might help:
>> http://www.mybizguard.com/mediawiki/index.php/Nutch_Search_Engine
>>
>> kawther khazri wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>  I'd like to know, what distribution of linux that goes nutch,
>>> because I ried to install Nutch in fedora 5  and I found many
>>> difficulties.
>>>  thanks.        ---------------------------------
>>> Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque
>>> soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos
>>> connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

Sami Siren-2
kawther khazri wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to know, what distribution of linux that goes nutch,
> because I ried to install Nutch in fedora 5  and I found many
> difficulties. thanks.

I installed fedora core 5 recently and nutch works there the same way as
it has worked on every Linux where I have tried running it.

I think the most problems rise when people use the packaged java and
tomcat that come with OS. Instead do a fresh install & configuration of
java (from sun) and Tomcat and you can setup nutch on every flavor of
Linux with exactly the same procedure.

--
  Sami Siren

>  --------------------------------- Découvrez un nouveau moyen de
> poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo!
> Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et
> vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

Dennis Kubes
I installed nutch, tomcat, and java fresh.  All of my FC5 installs use
only the minimal amount of packages, I think just editors, admin tools
and base.  I don't put x servers on them.  We also use network boots and
kickstart load to get a consistent install across machines.  We install
java, nutch, and tomcat through post load scripts from network mounts so
it is always the same.

Another thing is the motherboard you use.  FC5 is pretty good with
current drivers for most motherboards.  We stick with intel boards
because we use SATA drives and most current intel motherboards raid
controllers are ICH7, etc. which are supported though the AHCI and PIX
drivers in FC5 or are Silicon Image SIL which are also supported out of
the box.  The board we use actually have 8 SATA slots and have both
Intel and Sil controllers.

Dennis

Sami Siren wrote:

> kawther khazri wrote:
>> Hi, I'd like to know, what distribution of linux that goes nutch,
>> because I ried to install Nutch in fedora 5  and I found many
>> difficulties. thanks.
>
> I installed fedora core 5 recently and nutch works there the same way
> as it has worked on every Linux where I have tried running it.
>
> I think the most problems rise when people use the packaged java and
> tomcat that come with OS. Instead do a fresh install & configuration
> of java (from sun) and Tomcat and you can setup nutch on every flavor
> of Linux with exactly the same procedure.
>
> --
>  Sami Siren
>

>>  --------------------------------- Découvrez un nouveau moyen de
>> poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo!
>> Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et
>> vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

RE: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF-2
My test/dev machine is on Ubuntu 6.06 using the packaged Sun JDK (1.5.0) and the packaged ant (1.6.x), using the tomcat from the apache site, and started with jsvc.

The server and an additional node are also under Ubuntu, without X, but with Sun's JDK as a tar.gz this time.

I haven't had problems with all this but I haven't done crazy load testing and large clusters.

RE : Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

kawther khazri
hello,
thank you for the guide,
Ihave a problem,It seem to be simple:
[root@localhost java]# rpm -Uvh stax-bea-1.0-2jpp.nosrc.rpm
   1:stax-bea               attention: utilisateur david inexistant - utilisation de root
attention: groupe david inexistant - utilisation de root
########################################### [100%]
what should I do.
best regards.

Florian Fricker <[hidden email]> a écrit : I run Nutch on Gentoo, works with no problems.

Regards

---------------------------------
 Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

Re: RE : Re: what Linux distribution goes best with Nutch?

ken-32
Nothing - it could not find that user so used root.  Did it all install
and did you get Nutch running?

Cheers!
Ken

> hello,
> thank you for the guide,
> Ihave a problem,It seem to be simple:
> [root@localhost java]# rpm -Uvh stax-bea-1.0-2jpp.nosrc.rpm
>    1:stax-bea               attention: utilisateur david inexistant -
> utilisation de root
> attention: groupe david inexistant - utilisation de root
> ########################################### [100%]
> what should I do.
> best regards.
>
> Florian Fricker <[hidden email]> a écrit : I run Nutch on
> Gentoo, works with no problems.
>
> Regards
>
> Ken Gregoire wrote:
>> Yup, I installed on FC5, but here is something that might help:
>> http://www.mybizguard.com/mediawiki/index.php/Nutch_Search_Engine
>>
>> kawther khazri wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>  I'd like to know, what distribution of linux that goes nutch,
>>> because I ried to install Nutch in fedora 5  and I found many
>>> difficulties.
>>>  thanks.
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit
>>> le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances,
>>> vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.
>>>

> --
> Florian Fricker                          [hidden email]
> Wyona Inc.   -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya
> http://www.wyona.com                       http://lenya.apache.org

>  Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le
> sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos
> opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.

--
Ken Gregoire
Gordian Data Inc.
www.gordiandata.com