what's the newest version of "Lucene in Action"

what's the newest version of "Lucene in Action"

David-317
Hi all:
    the pdf format "Lucene in Action" I'm reading now is talk about Lucene
1.4,  Is the book updated with Lucene 2.0? I don't have any information
about it.
Appreciate your help

David

Re: what's the newest version of "Lucene in Action"

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Lucene in Action (print and ebook/PDF) cover Lucene 1.4.3.  Most of what's described in LIA still applies to Lucene 2.0 and even the development version, although some APIs have changed (the concepts are mostly the same).  There will be LIA2, and Erik might send a relevant email in a few hours.

Otis

Re: what's the newest version of "Lucene in Action"

Erik Hatcher
David,

I was moments away from sending out a status on LIA2.  I posted the
short and sweet version here:

        <http://www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?messageID=56559&#56559>

Excerpted: "Yes, we are planning a 2nd edition. The road from LIA1 to
LIA2 has been a combination of busyness, lazyness, and now its just
plain pragmatic. Lucene has been undergoing massive changes (for the
better, if you can imagine that Lucene could actually get better!!!)
which are still works in progress. Otis and I have decided that it is
best to wait for at least the next 6 months or so and let Lucene
stabilize in functionality and we'll shake it out in the 2nd edition.
Don't hold your breath, except only briefly at times. I can't say
when for sure, but I'd put money on seeing a new edition before
2010  :)"

I've posted some other bits about converting the LIA1 codebase to be
Lucene 2.0 compatible on this list, with a pointer to the thread here:

        <http://www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?threadID=17404&tstart=0>

All the concepts from LIA1 and the bulk of the API still apply.  Some
API was changed, and it is a relatively minor adjustment to convert
to 2.0 style following the instructions indirectly linked to above.

LIA2 will be a fairly massive undertaking, requiring that Otis and I
both put our lives, wives, and children on hold for a bit.  When
Lucene is ready for the second edition to begin, we'll do our best to
jump right in and get to work.

        Erik