why don't we have a forum for discussion?

12

why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Tony Wang-3
I am just curious why we don't have a forum for discussion or you guys think
it's really necessary to receive lots of crap information about Solr and
nutch in email? I can offer you a forum for discussion anyway.

Are you RCholic? www.RCholic.com
温 良 恭 俭 让 仁 义 礼 智 信

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Mike Klaas

On 18-Feb-09, at 11:06 AM, Tony Wang wrote:

> I am just curious why we don't have a forum for discussion or you
> guys think
> it's really necessary to receive lots of crap information about Solr
> and
> nutch in email? I can offer you a forum for discussion anyway.

If you want to follow solr-user using the web, try nabble:

http://www.nabble.com/Solr---User-f14480.html

-Mike

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Martin Lamothe
Yep, I second the motion.
This mailing list overloads my poor BB curve.

-M

--
Martin Lamothe
Business Development and Operations
E-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.wiserweb.com

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Jon Baer
I don't think "general" discussion forums really help ... it would be
great if every major page in the Solr wiki had a discuss link off to
somewhere though +1 for that ...

Ie:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRequestHandler
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
etc.

For me even panning over discussion history on topics would be helpful.

- Jon

On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Martin Lamothe wrote:

> Yep, I second the motion.
> This mailing list overloads my poor BB curve.
>
> -M
>
> 2009/2/18 Tony Wang <[hidden email]>
>
>> I am just curious why we don't have a forum for discussion or you
>> guys
>> think
>> it's really necessary to receive lots of crap information about
>> Solr and
>> nutch in email? I can offer you a forum for discussion anyway.
>>
>> --
>> Are you RCholic? www.RCholic.com
>> 温 良 恭 俭 让 仁 义 礼 智 信
>>

> --
> Martin Lamothe
> Business Development and Operations
> Wiser Web Solutions Inc.
> Direct: (613) 262-5558
> Toll-free: 1-800-949-4737
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> http://www.wiserweb.com

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Stephen Weiss-2
I third the motion.... SOLR is the second largest contributor to my e-
mail glut (my company's marketing is #1).  I often have no idea what
area of Solr I'm actually asking about when I have a question, so I
would disagree and say a general forum provides a place to post when
you don't really understand the internals so well.

But almost anything would be better than the current situation.  This
list is SOLR's best documentation so I wouldn't want to just stop
getting it (and stuff just goes unnoticed in digests), but it could be
presented better.  A forum with a search function and notifications
would be a big improvement, especially as the community grows.

--
Steve

On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Jon Baer wrote:

> I don't think "general" discussion forums really help ... it would
> be great if every major page in the Solr wiki had a discuss link off
> to somewhere though +1 for that ...
>
> Ie:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRequestHandler
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
> etc.
>
> For me even panning over discussion history on topics would be
> helpful.
>
> - Jon
>
> On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Martin Lamothe wrote:
>
>> Yep, I second the motion.
>> This mailing list overloads my poor BB curve.
>>
>> -M
>>
>> 2009/2/18 Tony Wang <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> I am just curious why we don't have a forum for discussion or you
>>> guys
>>> think
>>> it's really necessary to receive lots of crap information about
>>> Solr and
>>> nutch in email? I can offer you a forum for discussion anyway.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Are you RCholic? www.RCholic.com
>>> 温 良 恭 俭 让 仁 义 礼 智 信
>>>

>> --
>> Martin Lamothe
>> Business Development and Operations
>> Wiser Web Solutions Inc.
>> Direct: (613) 262-5558
>> Toll-free: 1-800-949-4737
>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>> http://www.wiserweb.com

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Walter Underwood, Netflix
I really prefer a mailing list. If I had to visit a website to
contribute, my participation would go to zero.

I might not be typical -- I've been handling a few hundred
messages a day for the past twenty five years.

wunder (e-mail is the killer app)

On 2/18/09 2:09 PM, "Stephen Weiss" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I third the motion.... SOLR is the second largest contributor to my e-
> mail glut (my company's marketing is #1).  I often have no idea what
> area of Solr I'm actually asking about when I have a question, so I
> would disagree and say a general forum provides a place to post when
> you don't really understand the internals so well.
>
> But almost anything would be better than the current situation.  This
> list is SOLR's best documentation so I wouldn't want to just stop
> getting it (and stuff just goes unnoticed in digests), but it could be
> presented better.  A forum with a search function and notifications
> would be a big improvement, especially as the community grows.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Jon Baer wrote:
>
>> I don't think "general" discussion forums really help ... it would
>> be great if every major page in the Solr wiki had a discuss link off
>> to somewhere though +1 for that ...
>>
>> Ie:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRequestHandler
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
>> etc.
>>
>> For me even panning over discussion history on topics would be
>> helpful.
>>
>> - Jon
>>
>> On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Martin Lamothe wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, I second the motion.
>>> This mailing list overloads my poor BB curve.
>>>
>>> -M

>>> --
>>> Martin Lamothe
>>> Business Development and Operations
>>> Wiser Web Solutions Inc.
>>> Direct: (613) 262-5558
>>> Toll-free: 1-800-949-4737
>>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>>> http://www.wiserweb.com

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Erik Hatcher

On Feb 18, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Stephen Weiss wrote:
> But almost anything would be better than the current situation.
> This list is SOLR's best documentation so I wouldn't want to just
> stop getting it (and stuff just goes unnoticed in digests), but it
> could be presented better.  A forum with a search function and
> notifications would be a big improvement, especially as the
> community grows.

This mailing list is a treasure trove of great stuff.  And it is quite
searchable at a number of services, including MarkMail, Nabble, and so
on: <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrResources#head-eb1d88e19476638cc8f8816acdaba5529e6359f2

Nabble provides a forum-like interface to mailing lists.

For the best (IMNSHO) search for this list (and the Solr wiki, most
importantly here, among other sources): <http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/p:solr

And if you want to see the latest mails for this list (latest on top):
   <http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/p:solr/s:email/l:user>

We've got notifications and syndication on our short term TODO list
already.  Any other features you'd like to see in our search system,
please let me know and we'll almost certainly add as we can.  Adding
the ability to send mails back through a web forum, though, is
something I'm not too keen on adding - it opens the door to lots of
complexities and it'd need to be a strongly requested feature to be
considered.

        Erik

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Matthew Runo
At the risk of sounding "me too"... me too!

Email is something I already use throughout the day - it's easy to pop
over into the folder I send all the solr-user mail to and quickly scan
the subject lines.

Nabble is great for searching though.. I only have 12,126 of the solr-
user messages archived locally so far..

Thanks for your time!

Matthew Runo
Software Engineer, Zappos.com
[hidden email] - 702-943-7833

On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:

> I really prefer a mailing list. If I had to visit a website to
> contribute, my participation would go to zero.
>
> I might not be typical -- I've been handling a few hundred
> messages a day for the past twenty five years.
>
> wunder (e-mail is the killer app)
>
> On 2/18/09 2:09 PM, "Stephen Weiss" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I third the motion.... SOLR is the second largest contributor to my
>> e-
>> mail glut (my company's marketing is #1).  I often have no idea what
>> area of Solr I'm actually asking about when I have a question, so I
>> would disagree and say a general forum provides a place to post when
>> you don't really understand the internals so well.
>>
>> But almost anything would be better than the current situation.  This
>> list is SOLR's best documentation so I wouldn't want to just stop
>> getting it (and stuff just goes unnoticed in digests), but it could
>> be
>> presented better.  A forum with a search function and notifications
>> would be a big improvement, especially as the community grows.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Jon Baer wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think "general" discussion forums really help ... it would
>>> be great if every major page in the Solr wiki had a discuss link off
>>> to somewhere though +1 for that ...
>>>
>>> Ie:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRequestHandler
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> For me even panning over discussion history on topics would be
>>> helpful.
>>>
>>> - Jon

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Shashi Kant
one man's "crap" is another man's treasure. :-P

So how would you decide what is worth posting?
If you feel the list is overwhelming your email, set some filters.

Shashi

温 良 恭 俭 让 仁 义 礼 智 信

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Martin Lamothe
E-mails wouldn't go away with a discussion forum as they have e-mail
notifications too....it could compliment this  mailing list... some stuff is
asked over and over and over ... isn't it? With a forum, it would be
possible to say.. go see this post.. .or that thread.. etc...

Multi-core could use it's own Topic
Scalling could use it's own too
Indexing
Optimizing Indexes
etc...

Surely some general topics would help organize this evolving body of
knowledge... IMO..

Folks that have graduated the entry levels of setting up Solr could  choose
to subscribe to more advanced topics, this coud help spare some mental
bandwidth for some... on the flip this, novice developers might feel
overwhelmed and shy away from participating much in this mailing list.. a
forum might help strike a better balance of capturing static information,
reduce the volume of e-mails, prevent users from having to setup fitlers to
deal with the solr mailing list, all without taking away from the e-mail
discussions..

On 18-Feb-09, at 2:09 PM, Stephen Weiss wrote:

> I third the motion.... SOLR is the second largest contributor to my
> e-mail glut (my company's marketing is #1).  I often have no idea
> what area of Solr I'm actually asking about when I have a question,
> so I would disagree and say a general forum provides a place to post
> when you don't really understand the internals so well.
>
> But almost anything would be better than the current situation.
> This list is SOLR's best documentation so I wouldn't want to just
> stop getting it (and stuff just goes unnoticed in digests), but it
> could be presented better.  A forum with a search function and
> notifications would be a big improvement, especially as the
> community grows.

I, for one, do not understand the motivation for a forum.

1. For people who prefer fora, nabble/markmail/etc. provide a forum-
like view to the discussion.  Posts can be permanently linked to using
these sites.
2. Many people greatly prefer the mailing list format (obviously, it
takes a little bit of effort to use mailinglists effectively (e.g.,
directing the traffic to a folder/tag/etc.)
3. There isn't enough traffic to justify splitting the list into sub-
lists (or sub-fora)

Fora have the same problems as do mailinglists in terms of people
asking the same questions.

-Mike

RE: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

David Smiley
I definitely agree with the sentiments of other that Nable et. al replace the need for a separate forum given that we have an active mailing list already.

Martin, you claimed a forum would meet the need of people asking questions over and over.  In my opinion, neither email nor forums are ideal for solving that.  A wiki on the other hand, is.  And Solr has a wiki and I refer to it often.  I certainly use Nabble's search too.

~ David Smiley

E-mails wouldn't go away with a discussion forum as they have e-mail
notifications too....it could compliment this  mailing list... some stuff is
asked over and over and over ... isn't it? With a forum, it would be
possible to say.. go see this post.. .or that thread.. etc...

Multi-core could use it's own Topic
Scalling could use it's own too
Indexing
Optimizing Indexes
etc...

Surely some general topics would help organize this evolving body of
knowledge... IMO..

Folks that have graduated the entry levels of setting up Solr could  choose
to subscribe to more advanced topics, this coud help spare some mental
bandwidth for some... on the flip this, novice developers might feel
overwhelmed and shy away from participating much in this mailing list.. a
forum might help strike a better balance of capturing static information,
reduce the volume of e-mails, prevent users from having to setup fitlers to
deal with the solr mailing list, all without taking away from the e-mail
discussions..

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Shashi Kant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> one man's "crap" is another man's treasure. :-P
>
> So how would you decide what is worth posting?
> If you feel the list is overwhelming your email, set some filters.
>

> Shashi

hossman

: I am just curious why we don't have a forum for discussion or you guys think
: it's really necessary to receive lots of crap information about Solr and
: nutch in email? I can offer you a forum for discussion anyway.

leaving out my personal opinions on SMTP based mailing lists vs HTTP based
forums, there are some practical issues to consider...

1) it is possible to have a web based front end for
reading/searching/posting to mailing lists (nabble.com demonstrates this
quite well).  it is much harder to have a mailing list based front end for
a web based forum.  so as long as there are people still using email, it
makes the most sense for email to be the "core" system, and people that
want a web based forum to use a web based forum UI that proxies to the
mailing list.

2) There is nothing preventing people who want to start alternate online
forums for discussing Solr from doing so.  (I recently learned there is
even a #solr IRC channel that gets moderate use by some members of hte
community).

3) apache projects are required to have mailing lists.  this is the
"official" method of coordinating development, and where all binding votes
must take place.  So even if 100% of the Solr community switched to
using some web based forum software, the mailing list(s) would still need
to exist.

4) the comments made so far seem to indicate three classes of reasons why
people are suggesting a forum instead of a mailing list...

4a) inboxes too full -- this is why email apps support filtering

4b) searching the archives -- i'm not sure what to say about this, the
mailing list archives are pretty easily searchable right now on dozens of
sites.

4c) browser based posting -- see nabble.com

4d) setting alerts for specific keywords -- this is the other reason why
email apps support filtering.

4e) linkability of past posts -- almost every web based archive of hte
mailing list supports permalinks for threads.

4f) better sub-classification of posts.  This is really an orthoginal
issue of if/when it makes sense to created
sub-specialized community discussion channels.  we could have micro-topic
based email lists (ie: solr-user-multicore@lucene) just as easily as you
can have micro-topic based forums -- the question is: does that improve
the community.  This is one of the great holy wars of online community
forums, dating back to early NNTP newsgroups: when does it make sense to
create sub-groups.  Considering the current number of posts per/day and
the subscriber counts, i personally don't think we're anywhere close to
worrying about splitting up solr-user into smaller community chunks.
Among other things: it makes it very hard for new community members to
understand where to start, many conversations can easily evolve to
encompase multiple "topics", etc...).  For now, i would suggest that
people only interested in certain topics take advantage of filters in
their email clients to help "flag" posts they might be interested in --
but that's going to be just as error prone as if a new user tried to
decide whether solr-user-multicore or solr-user-scalability is the right
place to ask their question about scaling on multicore CPU machines.

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Stephen Weiss-2
Like an earlier poster, my issue isn't on the laptop, it's with my
mobile device.  The sheer volume of e-mail overwhelms the thing
sometimes (right now, for instance).  There's really no option for
moving the e-mail off to some other folder, it just all goes to one
place.

Perhaps that means I need a better phone, it's just the obvious
solutions aren't always practical.  Forums can conversely just as
easily be set up to emulate mailing lists as well...  Our company's
internal forum works this way.

--
Steve

On Feb 18, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> 2) There is nothing preventing people who want to start alternate
> online
> forums for discussing Solr from doing so.  (I recently learned there
> is
> even a #solr IRC channel that gets moderate use by some members of hte
> community).

I lurk in #solr and #lucene (among others) when I'm online working at
my desk pretty much most days.  I've directed several folks from there
to here for specific trickier issues, and have helped several folks
with easier things.  By all means, join us in #solr - no reason it
can't be used to take the load off the list for some quicky answers.

        Erik

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Peter Wolanin-2
If some stuff is asked over and over again, it would be great to grab
some reasonable responses and add them to the wiki.

I've edited it a few times when I've struggled with what's there and
found something that wasn't covered or was out of date - even the best
forum or mailing list will not replicate an organized and maintained
doc site in terms of ready access to knowledge.

-Peter

2009/2/18 Martin Lamothe <[hidden email]>:

> E-mails wouldn't go away with a discussion forum as they have e-mail
> notifications too....it could compliment this  mailing list... some stuff is
> asked over and over and over ... isn't it? With a forum, it would be
> possible to say.. go see this post.. .or that thread.. etc...
>
> Multi-core could use it's own Topic
> Scalling could use it's own too
> Indexing
> Optimizing Indexes
> etc...

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Shashi Kant
Steve - could you not just subscribe to the list from another (off-mobile device) email (Gmail or Yahoo) for example?
We discourage using corporate email for subscribing mailing lists precisely for such reasons : volume, spam, malware risks etc.

Shashi

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Erick Erickson
I admit it takes a while, but Google mail, especially with its threading
format has been very useful for me. I rarely need to go to the
searchable archive any more since I've been collecting Lucene and
SOLR user-list email for quite some time. Please, please, please don't
make me have to visit yet *another* site for this info stream.

On Feb 19, 2009, at 10:13 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:

> I admit it takes a while, but Google mail, especially with its
> threading
> format has been very useful for me. I rarely need to go to the
> searchable archive any more since I've been collecting Lucene and
> SOLR user-list email for quite some time. Please, please, please don't
> make me have to visit yet *another* site for this info stream.

Don't worry... we're not changing a thing when it comes to the
lucene.apache.org e-mail lists.  It's how Apache works and it's the
medium of communication we use for all official discussions related to
all things Apache Lucene (and Apache in general).

        Erik

Re: why don't we have a forum for discussion?

Gunnar Wagenknecht
Martin Lamothe schrieb:
> This mailing list overloads my poor BB curve.

You can configure BIS/BES to not deliver mailing list email to your device.

Note, that this mailing list is already as a newsgroup via NNTP today.
No need to subscribe. Just get a NNTP news reader (eg. Mozilla
Thunderbird). :)

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht